FAQs and How to CONTRIBUTE – via check, or by debit or credit via PayPal or Go Fund Me
For “Why contribute?” and FAQs, please scroll down.
Contribute via PayPal
Click the amber-colored “Donate” button to the right. You may contribute by using your bank account, debit card, or credit card.
No PayPal account is required. However, if you have a PayPal account, you also have the option of contributing using your PayPal account balance.
If you wish, you may also set up an automatic monthly contribution via PayPal.
Contribute via check
Send a check by postal mail.
Make check payable to “Mari Lynch, Bicycling Monterey.” Mail to Mari Lynch, Bicycling Monterey, PO Box 3041, Monterey, CA 93942-3041.
Contribute via Go Fund Me
Go to https://www.gofundme.com/bikemonterey, then click “Donate Now.” You may contribute using your bank account, debit card, or credit card.
If you wish, you may also set up an automatic monthly contribution via Go Fund Me.
FAQs are below.
Please feel free to contact Mari by phone if you have any other questions.
“Why contribute to Bicycling Monterey?”
- Since May 2009, and still the case as 2017 begins, Bicycling Monterey founder Mari Lynch, a resident of rural Monterey County since 1981, has provided the website and other Bicycling Monterey projects on an entirely volunteer basis. To learn more, refer to the story at https://gofundme.com/bikemonterey.
- Are the Bicycling Monterey website and projects valuable? See what people say, which includes comments from local residents, visitors/tourists, media, municipal leaders, transportation professionals, bike advocates, and others.
- As of the beginning of 2017, there is still no official bicycle coalition for Monterey County, or for the Monterey Bay Tri-County region. Monterey County has an increasingly strong and diverse bike community, and Bicycling Monterey helps bring these and other biking resources to the public’s attention.
- Bicycling Monterey serves as an information hub available to Monterey County’s approximately 431,000 residents and its visitors, estimated at 8.4 million annually, as well as serving as a resource to other people worldwide.
- Among popular Bicycling Monterey resources used by people outside Monterey County are the Spanish resources compilation, the riding skills, safety, and CA bike laws section, and more.
F A Q s
“What’s the best way to contribute so Bicycling Monterey receives the most benefit?”
Contributing via any of the three payments methods is appreciated.
For the most financial benefit to Bicycling Monterey (which is especially relevant if you are making a large contribution), in order of preference, the best way is: #1, by check; #2, via PayPal; #3, via Go Fund Me.
Why? Contributing by check means 100% of your contribution goes to Bicycling Monterey. Although no fee is charged to you as the donor/contributor, a transaction fee is charged to Bicycling Monterey if you contribute via PayPal (2.9% plus 30 cents) or Go Fund Me (7.9% plus 30 cents).
“May I tell you how I’d like my contribution used?” YES. Contact Mari if you’d like it to be used for a specific Bicycling Monterey project.
“May I see the total amount of money contributed, and who has contributed?” YES. Refer to the Financial Contributors page (click here).
“May I contribute anonymously?” YES. By any payment method, when making your contribution, simply indicate “Anonymous.”
“If I don’t ask to be anonymous, where will my name be listed?”
(a) All contributors: It is a pleasure to acknowledge all contributors by name on the Financial Contributors page (unless they asked to be anonymous).
(b) Some contributors (unless they asked to be anonymous) are also listed by name on the https://gofundme.com/bikemonterey page. Who? Those who either contribute via Go Fund Me, or those who contribute by check or via PayPal and ask that they be included on the GFM page. Which brings us to the next FAQ…
“May I contribute by check or PayPal and still be included on the https://GoFundMe.com/bikemonterey page?” YES. Go Fund Me allows that, and such contributions are referred to there as an “offline donation.” To request that, just contact Mari.
“Will the amount of my individual contribution be displayed?”
(b) NO, not if you contribute by check or PayPal, and you do not ask to be included on the Go Fund Me page. Your individual contribution amount is simply included in the total contributions figure on the Financial Contributors page.
(b) YES, if you either contribute via https://gofundme.com/bikemonterey, or you contribute by check or PayPal and contact Mari and ask to be added to the GFM page. (However, remember that if you prefer, you may indicate that your contribution is to be listed as given by Anonymous.)
Note about the optional rewards-for-contributors program (2016)
Ten women launched Bicycling Monterey’s first fundraising campaign on December 22, 2015, including a crowdfunding campaign at https://gofundme.com/bikemonterey. The Go Fund Me platform has an option for offering rewards to contributors, and on February 26, 2016, an optional rewards program for Bicycling Monterey’s contributors was added there. However, due to the GFM rewards system’s tech limitations, on April 13, 2016, the rewards were moved to the Bicycling Monterey website. The end-date for Bicycling Monterey’s rewards program was December 31, 2016. Thank you to those who provided rewards. It is not planned to have another rewards program in 2017. Why? Simply because the program required too many additional volunteer hours of Mari.