Make a contribution of $5, $25, $100, or any amount
A contribution to the Bicycling Monterey website and projects in any amount is meaningful and appreciated.
Contribute by debit or credit card
Click the PayPal button to the right. No PayPal account is necessary.
Contribute by check
Make check payable to “Mari Lynch, Bicycling Monterey.” Mail to PO Box 3041, Monterey, CA 93942-3041.
Every financial contribution is included on the Contributors page.
For those who allow public acknowledgment, it is a pleasure to also list their name.
Consider “A Sampling of Comments” and “A Wise Contribution” below.
Monterey County does not yet have a formal bicycle coalition. Bicycling Monterey serves as an information hub available to the county’s 428,000 residents and its visitors, estimated at 8.4 million annually. Bicycling Monterey also provides info used by people who bike elsewhere.
If you wish, you may specify that your contribution be used toward the time and expenses of keeping the website available, or toward supporting another of the Bicycling Monterey projects (click for summary).
A sampling of comments
From visitors, residents, journalists / media professionals, transportation professionals, other municipal leaders, and bike advocates
Thanks to the people below for communicating their appreciation for the Bicycling Monterey website and projects. Whether your words were offered through website comments, Tweets, media reports, thank you notes, or in other ways, your encouragement is appreciated.
From visitors to Monterey County
1. “Your site is really useful…It is, by far, the most comprehensive bicycle site for Monterey County…and regularly updated, which is rare.”—Anneke Prins, visitor from the U.K.
2. “Wow! Thank you very much for that very extensive and useful reply! I don’t know what made me think of Monterey as a bicycle friendly place, but it seems my instinct was right!”—Asa Widmark, visitor from Sweden
3. “Thanks to @BikeMonterey…for great tips that helped make this bike touring trip a big success.”—Stephen Zavestoski
4. “I love the site! I’m a bicycling fan from Australia.”—Steve Matheson
5. “This is a wonderful site…Thank you.” —David Nakai, visitor biking Carmel and Salinas
6. “Thank you for a WONDERFULLY informative site.” — Sam Ornelas, Fresno
7. “You make it look easy, Mari! Bilingual resources…pretty terrific! Family centered bicycling…pretty wonderful!”—Maureen Byrnes, CNM from New Jersey
8. “Great website full of useful information and tips on safe bicycling.”—Paula Ross, Southern California
9. “As a regular visitor to Pacific Grove since 1963 I can attest that there is no finer way to see the peninsula than by bike. You have captured the essence of how and why cycling is so enjoyable for both transportation and recreation. Thanks for providing your site.”—Rob Swain
10. “What a fantastic resource for all!”—Heynia Cooley
11. “What an awesome story! Inspiring on so many levels.”—Lindsey O’Neill, Vancouver, British Columbia
12. “Your writing is poignant.”—Angela Parkins, Boulder, Colorado
13. “Your tenacious spirit & wisdom, full of soul for Monterey County & beyond, are greatly admired!…CONGRATULATIONS MARI & MONTEREY COMMUNITY LEADERS et al. on this awesome support for your biking smart residents and guests!”—Floann Younker, Dawson City, Illinois
14. “I’m an avid cyclist relocating to Monterey soon. Great site! Thanks for all the news and resources.”—Mark Daniels
15. “You are amazing for starting the HER Helmet Thursdays program. Thank you!”—Karen Woodson
16. “Great write up of a great program!” Erik O/”Fenriq,” Santa Cruz, California
17. “I haven’t owned a car in over a half decade and have biked in Monterey and all over the world. I appreciate and visit frequently your website. Keep up the great work.”—David Reichbaum, San Mateo, California
From Monterey County residents
1. “Great bike tips for tourists as well as residents.”—Monterey Institute of International Studies
2. “I learned about HER Helmet Thursdays by attending the Tuesday Salinas City Council meeting. WOW!! Great going, and please tell the participants my family is definitely going to give them business.”—Lane Davis, Salinas
3. “It is a wonderful cycling enterprise you are contributing to Monterey. Your site, as always, is fabulous. You do beautiful work!”—Leo Kodl
4. “Great post about biking in Castroville. Thank you!”—Terry of Castroville
5. “Mari, yours is a very accessible, attractive and most important, informative website. You’re a very good reporter and seem to be everywhere, catching, interviewing and photographing touring cyclists like Wonder Woman, in addition to local cycling stories. Ride ON, girl!”—Dennis Renault, the Biking Viking
6. “You have done an absolutely outstanding job of making this site a reality that anyone with two wheels appreciates.”—Mary Davis, Marina
7. “Mari, you are to be commended for your tireless work and dedication to encourage more use of bikes.” —Elvira Robinson, Carmel
8. “Comprehensive guide to biking in Monterey…Filled a gap in our tour guide info.”—Ellen Tucker, Monterey
9. “Mari: Thank you for continuing to be a great voice of the Monterey Cycling Community.”—Devian Gilbert
10. “Mari I love your HER Helmet Thursdays idea….It brings people out on their bikes and lets cyclists know which businesses support cycling. Thank you for everything that you do for Monterey cycling.”Mike
11. “Mari I do so enjoy and appreciate your writing. This personal touch…brightened my day.” —Bettina Hotelling, Pebble Beach
12. “…I have decided to change exclusively to bicycle riding….Thank you for giving bicycle information to our residents.”—John William Coffman
13. “Thank you for posting an article on my brother! I am so proud of him, and I had tears reading this article! I love reading articles in regards to Youth doing positive things in our community!”—Dawn Allen
14. “Beautiful article Mari and you did an exceptional job portraying the essence of Devian.” —Donna, Carmel
15. “Great resource for Monterey County bicycling information.”—Fort Ord Reuse Authority
16. “Thank you for spending all your precious time volunteering to get the Youth Center bike class established; I’m sure it takes a minute (times a million)!”—Luciano Rodriguez
17. “Thank you once again for all your help with the launch of Ciclovia Salinas. You have been an important piece in this accomplishment!”Andrea Manzo, Building Healthy Communities-East Salinas
18. “I thought I was a bicycle promoter until I met you. Thank you, Mari!”Jim Warwick, Salinas High School teacher and SHS Cowboys MTB team advisor
19. “You left out BEST BICYCLE ADVOCATE/WRITER/WEBSITE: Mari Lynch!!!! No doubt about it!!!! Bravo, Bravissimo!!!!”—Cath Tendler-Valencia, Seaside
20. “We cannot thank you enough for all your help and support.”—Richard Gray, director, Monterey County Probation Department Youth Center
21. “I’m thankful for all your great support over the past few years.”—Andrew Kipsey, Bridge Restoration’s B2B Ride.
22. “Thanks for all you do for the bicycling community.”—Henrietta Stern, Monterey Off Road Cycling Association
23. “I read your article this morning, and was SO HAPPY to have been included. Thank you so very, very much. We are thrilled to be included on such a list.”—Susie Brusa, Executive Director, Rancho Cielo Youth Campus
24. “Your presentation was very informative and generated lots of interest in our audience. People could have stayed longer with many more questions, if it had not been for me and my timer! Your enthusiasm for more biking is truly inspirational. I, for one, came out of Tuesday’s program more determined than ever to do more biking and walking.”—Denyse Frischmuth, Sustainable Pacific Grove
25. “Thank you for all your help and support.”—Rob Garcia, Salinas social cycling advocate, member of Salinas Lions Club and Knights of Columbus
From journalists / media professionals
1. “An umbrella website for all things two-wheeled in Monterey County….A relentless advocate for a bikeable MoCo.”—Kera Abraham, Monterey County Weekly
2. “No profit motive for its creator, Mari Lynch, just a vision to see more locals and tourists ride bikes.”–Ravi Kapur, KSBW
3. “The consummate ‘spokes’ woman!”—Roberto Robledo, Salinas Californian
4. “Monterey County bicycling enthusiast extraordinaire!”—Claudia Meléndez Salinas, Monterey County Herald
5. “A wealth of relevant information for cyclists residing in or visiting Monterey County.”—Peter Mounteer, Cedar Street Times
From transportation professionals and other municipal leaders
1. “Great resource for tourists and residents alike!”—Association of Monterey Bay Area Governments
2. “Thanks for all you have done to promote safe and fun cycling in Monterey County.”—Kevin Cole, Safety Director, Pebble Beach Company
3. “Unyielding support for bike projects. A very positive voice.”—Rich Deal, City of Monterey Traffic Engineer
4. “Does so much for the community, in an informative and collaborative manner.”—Debbie Hale, Executive Director, Transportation Agency for Monterey County
5. “We appreciate all your bicycling support and effort!” Kaki Cheung, former bicycle and pedestrian coordinator, Transportation Agency for Monterey County
6. “Your recognition by the Alliance for Biking & Walking is so well deserved.”—Andrew Cook, former bicycle and pedestrian coordinator, Transportation Agency for Monterey County
7. “Thanks for all you are doing!”—James Serrano, City of Salinas Transportation Planner
8. “Civic minded…very uplifting.”—Michael Ricker, City of Salinas
9. “Great source of bicycling news and events.”—City of Monterey
10. “MST appreciates all of your support today, and everyday….Thanks for continually spreading the word about MST!”—Zoe Shoats, marketing manager, Monterey-Salinas Transit
From bike advocates
1. “Consistently advocates for bicycling. Major kudos to Mari for all her great work!”—California Bicycle Coalition
2. “Mari is a tireless and passionate bicycle advocate….Really great website.”—Saskia Lucas, Open Streets Santa Cruz
3. “Advocating passionately for us bikers.”—Susan Ragsdale-Cronin, Del Rey Oaks bike commuter mom
4. “Outstanding site. Uplifting, informative, relevant, and fun to read and look at.”—Matthew Sundt, President, Velo Club Monterey and Owner, Old Capitol Books
5. “Excellent resource for all things bikes in Monterey County.”—Richard Masoner/Cyclelicious, Santa Cruz County
6. “Thanks so much for all the beautiful photos…a breath of fresh air.” —Anna Fahey, Sightline Institute, Seattle, Washington
A Wise Contribution
Founded in May 2009 as a public service, Bicycling Monterey was created and continues to be provided by volunteer Mari Lynch, a resident of rural Monterey County since 1981. As of the 6th anniversary, May 2015, Mari still does the work of the site and projects entirely free of charge. Learn more about Bicycling Monterey in the About section.
“Huge public service to the region”
Megan Tolbert, former transportation planner at California State University Monterey Bay, wrote:
“Mari is a genuine community steward. Her work with Bicycling Monterey has been a huge public service to the region. She performs her work with passion and compassion, and she’s skilled at detail-oriented quality control.”
“Transparent and honest work”
Del Rey Oaks resident Susan Ragsdale-Cronin wrote a letter to the Monterey County Herald, “Sincere thanks for practicing the golden rule,” March 28, 2011:
“…the basis of ethics is the Golden Rule. When we practice this rule (and not the variation ‘those with the gold make the rules’), the expectation is that others do, too. I have recently seen and felt the denial and then the heartbreak of the disregard of this most simple tenet of daily living. From the colossal chain of events that Wall Street can trigger to the unraveling of local nonprofits, untangling the web of deceit is no fun.
“But it is exactly this contrast that makes me appreciate the toil of people committed to transparent and honest work. For this, all of our community should look with admiration and gratitude to people such as…Mari Lynch (Bicycling Monterey).”
Is creating and maintaining this website that much work?
The World Wide Web has changed how content is provided.
What has not changed is how accurate, reliable content is created–with much time, skill, and careful research.
Our neighbors across the Monterey Bay recognized this. In a November 2010 online conversation, a Santa Cruz County Regional Transportation Commission senior planner and a Santa Cruz Sentinel columnist wrote:
“Have you seen the Bicycling Monterey site? This is a one-woman production and volunteer effort. It’s full of bike-related resources, events, news, programs, etc….Does anyone have an interest in working to pull something like this together for our area?”
“Mari, your website has started a revolution in Santa Cruz. We want to launch a site like yours – but we imagine we need 10 people at least to launch what you have done.”
A question may come to mind: “You promote a lot of businesses and others. Aren’t you paid for that?” No.
Even the hundreds of businesses and organizations in The HER Helmet Thursdays Project still do not pay any fee as of that project’s 5th Anniversary. Mari continues to contribute her time and resources to build this long-term ecology-economy sustainability project. Someday it may be necessary to charge new businesses and organizations a fee to sign up, but none do as of the 6th anniversary of the Bicycling Monterey website and projects, May 2015.
In April 2010, the Monterey County Weekly contacted Mari and invited her to contribute a history of HER Helmet Thursdays as their Earth Day “Local Spin” editorial. Click here to read that history. Click here to watch a video intro on KSBW.
Perhaps you’d like to contribute project supplies or volunteer time instead of, or in addition to, contributing money:
Individuals or organizations that would like to see the Bicycling Monterey website and projects continue can help by fundraising.
This might be through organizing and carrying out a crowdfunding campaign or other fundraising event; by researching and applying for foundation grants to individuals; or in other ways. Please contact Mari with your questions and offers to help.
Why help keep Bicycling Monterey rolling?
In addition to those who benefit from the various Bicycling Monterey projects, and the thousands of individual website visitors each month…
Bicycling Monterey is also recognized as a helpful resource and linked by the Association of Monterey Bay Area Governments, City of Monterey, City of Salinas, City of Seaside, Transportation Agency for Monterey County, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Monterey-Salinas Transit, National Steinbeck Center, Monterey Bay Aquarium, Monterey County Convention & Visitors Bureau, Monterey Bay Unified Air Pollution Control District, Community Alliance for Safety and Peace, Monterey Institute of International Studies, California State University Monterey Bay, Hartnell College, Stevenson School, Big Sur International Marathon, Monterey Jazz Festival, Monterey Green Action, Sierra Club-Ventana Chapter, Monterey Off Road Cycling Association, Naval Postgraduate School Foundation Cycling Club, Sea Otter Classic, Velo Club Monterey, California Bicycle Coalition, Open Streets Project, Smart Growth America, UC-Berkeley CATSIP, People Power of Santa Cruz, Bike to Work – Santa Cruz, the Alliance for Biking & Walking (scroll down), and many others, and is recommended and featured by media including KUSP Central Coast Public Radio, KSBW, the Monterey County Weekly, the Salinas Californian, and the Monterey County Herald.