Acknowledgments–and How You Can Help
Monterey County does not yet have a formal bicycle coalition. The Bicycling Monterey website serves as a local bike information hub, and the work has been honored with a Transportation Excellence Award by the Transportation Agency for Monterey County. Many other bike community leaders are on the Bicycle Shops, Services, Clubs, and Resources page.
This page lists individuals and organizations who are part of this grassroots effort to encourage more bicycling.
Please consider joining them by helping in one or more ways.
Some ways to help:
- Volunteer. Volunteer time and skills. For a list of those helping in this way, see “Acknowledgements: Project Volunteers,” directly below.
- Contribute. Contribute by debit or credit card, via PayPal (click on button to the right). For info regarding acknowledgements, contributing by check, and more, refer to the About Contributions page. If many people were to contribute $5 or $10, together their contributions could accomplish a lot. For a list of those helping in this way, see Contributors page.
- Spread the good news. Savvy media professionals picked up on this work early on; see “Acknowledgements: Media Professionals.” You can spread the good news too! How? Refer to Posters, Web Links, and Other Project Resources, or contact me for ideas. For a list of those helping in this way, see “Acknowledgements: Spread the Good News” at end of this page.
The Bicycling Monterey website and projects are a public service of Mari Lynch and Fine Wordworking, recognized by the Association of Monterey Bay Area Governments, City of Monterey, City of Salinas, City of Seaside, Transportation Agency for Monterey County, Monterey-Salinas Transit, National Steinbeck Center, Monterey Bay Aquarium, Monterey Bay Unified Air Pollution Control District, Community Alliance for Safety and Peace, Monterey Institute of International Studies, California State University Monterey Bay, Hartnell College, Stevenson School, Big Sur International Marathon, Monterey Jazz Festival, Monterey Green Action, Sierra Club-Ventana Chapter, Monterey Off Road Cycling Association, Sea Otter Classic, Velo Club Monterey, California Bicycle Coalition, Bike to Work – Santa Cruz, and many others, and recommended and featured by media including KUSP Central Coast Public Radio, KSBW, the Monterey County Weekly, the Salinas Californian, and the Monterey County Herald.
Acknowledgements: Project Volunteers
The following individuals contributed personal time and expertise, which is deeply appreciated.
Eeek! Computer isn’t doing what I need it to. And by grace, an anonymous tech angel responds with just the right advice, faithfully, year after year. Whether it’s a hardware challenge or an Internet mystery, whatever is nudging this Lead Pencil Woman toward a brain-fry, it cannot win. Because a phone call away is the Best. Help. Ever. You know who you are. Bless you!
Creator of the HER Helmet Thursdays custom database
A web expert and cyclist from Santa Cruz County recognized that HER Helmet Thursdays needed room to grow. He kindly volunteered to provide the necessary techno leg-up. By creating a secure custom database in January 2010, free of charge, he made the project’s growth possible. What a caring neighbor!
Whenever you refer to the HER Helmet Thursdays listings, you are benefiting from the professional expertise and chivalry of this anonymous contributor.
Tech support for the HER Helmet Thursdays custom database
Who provides the essential technical support for the HER Helmet Thursdays custom database, including upgrades and other maintenance? Stephen Anderson (on Twitter, @bendycode) of Bendyworks, Racine, Wisconsin. Another geek with a heart!
Stephen is a cyclist who had visited Monterey County. As a Ruby on Rails expert, when Stephen became aware of the need for this technical support, he graciously agreed to help. Since November 2012, it is thanks to Stephen’s technical expertise and generosity (backed by extraordinary communication skills too) that the database remains available–allowing people to continue accessing the HER Helmet Thursdays map and detailed listings.
Also much appreciated is Stephen’s fellow Ruby on Rails aficionado, Jordan Peterson. The skills of these two gentlemen are much in demand, yet by teaming up, it was possible for them to carve out time to do this pro bono work as well.
Thanks for keeping us rolling, guys!
Above-and-beyond website support
I am a Lead Pencil Girl Gone Techno. Because of the vision of Vid Raatior of Atawe Design, this site’s design is far more user-friendly than my personal tech skills would have made possible. Vid selected and set up a WordPress theme, whipped the original content of Tips for Bicycling Monterey County into a more user-friendly menu format, designed the site banner, coached me in the ways of WordPress, and more. Vid was another Santa Cruz County neighbor (since moved to Hawaii) who shared his expertise very generously. Moreover, Vid was an absolute joy to work with from start to finish!
Additional technical support
- Daniel Saenz of Daniel Saenz Designs / ArtDoor.com, another helpful neighbor from Santa Cruz, stepped in at times when WP design issues, in particular, puzzled me. That’s very fortunate for this site’s readers!
- Jason Wehmhoener, yet another Santa Cruz geek and helpful neighbor, is wise in the ways of WordPress and more. Jason was on the alert more than once when I waved the red flag, and he responded with just the right tech tip at just the right time.
- Steven Lienhard, yes, another Santa Cruz geek! You might be looking fruitlessly for a HER Helmet Thursdays detailed listing if it were not for Steve’s knowledge of a particular plugin made by Frank Bültge. Thanks, neighbor!
- Frank Bültge of http://bueltge.de for creating and freely providing a WordPress search-and-replace plugin that served the HER Helmet Thursdays project. And wouldn’t you know it!–Frank is an avid bicyclist himself.
Creator of the HER Helmet Thursdays logo
Steve E. Anderson of Velo Club Monterey
On hearing that HER Helmet Thursdays needed a logo, Steve immediately volunteered to provide one. He delivered it promptly and in good cheer, showing once again that our local racers often quietly serve as Knights of the Central Coast
A bike class for the Monterey County Youth Center
The following came together to make a long-desired bicycle repair and safety class part of the Monterey County Probation Department’s Youth Center curriculum. Click here for details.
- Richard Gray, director, and other staff of the Monterey County Youth Center
- Joseph Crabtree, Forest Hill Bike Shop
- Korey Ericson
- Frank Henderson
- Luciano Rodriguez
- Fine Wordworking
Thanks also to the following supporters of this class.
- Light & Motion
- SIDI America
- Bear Bikes, Salinas
- Bobcat Bicycles, Salinas
- Sea Otter Classic
- Monterey-Salinas Transit
- Bay Bikes, Carmel and Monterey
- Pedal Born Pictures
- Mechanix Wear
- Winning Wheels Bicycle Shop, Pacific Grove
- Kelly McMillin of the Salinas Police Department
- Jim Warwick
- Danielle Shillcock
In addition, local businesses contributed to making the Monterey County Youth Center bike class shop function more effectively by contributing miscellaneous supplies. These business contributors included Beverly’s, Monterey; Cypress Garden Nursery, Monterey; Pharmaca, Monterey; and Star Market, Salinas. Thank you!
Bike safety outreach to South County youth
At the first South County Health & Safety Fair in Greenfield, Bicycling Monterey shared California bicycle laws and bike safety information–in Spanish and English–with South County youth and adults. The generosity of the following individuals and organizations made it possible to gift many youth their first bicycle helmet.
- Ariana Green of Santa Cruz, former transportation planner for the City of Monterey (now a transportation planner for the Transportation Agency of Monterey County)
- Ellie Kincade, outreach specialist for REI, Marina
- Naval Postgraduate School Cycling Club
- Velo Club Monterey
Special thanks to Greenfield PD Records Clerk Isabel Landeros for oral translation and Officer Armando Mendoza for helmet fitting at the fair. Thanks also to Greenfield PD’s Interim Chief Sills, SGT Fred Perez, Records Supervisor Ysela Serrano, and Records Clerk Maria Ramirez for their support.
And thank you to Stephanie Villanueva for her time spent photocopying bike safety information, and to Ernesto Mireles, DDS, Greenfield & Salinas Dental Group (831) 674-5501, for generously contributing copies.
Bike safety consultant
When knowledge and research time are limited, it is so helpful to be able to count on the expertise and community-mindedness of Frank Henderson. Frank is a League of American Bicyclists certified instructor and TAMC 2010 Golden Helmet Award winner.
People responding in a variety of helpful ways
- Danielle Shillcock – MS Word expertise and other support
- Margaret Wolf - research and support for HER Helmet Thursdays participant listings
- Donna Murphy Typing Service – bike valet claim checks for special events
- Melanie Gibbs Stackpole – annual research and support for HER Helmet Thursdays date restrictions and staff reference sheet
- Casey Andrews, Sierra Dehmler – creation of first HER Helmet Thursdays quick reference/pocket guide
- Sandi Laney – outreach for Dress-Up Challenge prizes
- Zoe Shoats, Monterey-Salinas Transit – lights for bike safety outreach
- Jon LeMaster of Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA.net) – permission to use OCTA’s Spanish translation of bicycle section of California Vehicle Code
- Rebecca Robinson – research on America’s discounts-for-bicyclists programs
- Renee Hardenstein and Kay Magenheim – when the printer is broken, who helps out? Renee and Kay!
For questions about bicycles, accessories, and more, here’s a shout-out to our local bike shops, plus extra thanks to these individuals:
- Sean Rigmaiden, Peninsula Bike Works
- Jan Valencia, Velo Monterey Answer Man
- Devian Gilbert, Asana Cycles
- Kevin Cole, Safety Director, Pebble Beach Company
- Phil Yenovikian – Support to touring cyclists
- Korey Ericson – Bike culture support
- Wyatt Wood – Biking in the Dark tips on tail lights
- Frank Pinto, Bay Bikes
- Steve Polk, Manzanita Park BMX
- Steve Aday, Marina Cycle and Skate
- Alex Fowler, Action Sports Construction
While Mari wrote most bike-there tips, these avid cyclists helped immensely by providing detailed tips on some of the more remote locations:
This site would be dull without the photographs of people bicycling throughout Monterey County. A huge thank you to the individuals who bring this site to life–and inspire others.
Thank you to all the photographers who generously contribute their own photos to supplement those taken by Mari. Please note their names in photo credit lines throughout this site.
In addition, the following photographers responded to Mari’s requests to shoot particular photos. Special thanks to:
- Joe Strunk
- Leo Kodl
- Steve E. Anderson
- Rizayel Mukashev
- Dieter Binz
- Simon and Joanna Bull
- Bill and Susan Ragsdale Cronin
- Carey Beebe
- Mrs. Jim Warwick
- Bob Simon
- Frank Henderson
- Dessa Murphy, Pacific Grove Middle School
- Patty Ristine and Paloma Hernandez, La Paz Middle School, Salinas
- Bryan Perez
- Colleen Ingram for camera loan and time assisting with biking surfer photos
- Arlene Sanchez, Student-Parent Liaison, Jack Franscioni Elementary School, Soledad
- Alex Paredes
- Nora Richman
- Jan Valencia
- Jesse Martines
- Jim Warwick
- Mark Kintz
- Jennifer Hickerson and Amelia Poma, Monterey Regional Airport
- Saul Soto, Tony’s Bike Shop, Castroville
- Aurelio Salazar, Jr. of Community Foundation for Monterey County, a supporter of Ciclovia Salinas
Guest posts or related assistance
Mari has written the vast majority of the content for this site. Let’s have a diversity of voices! Please consider writing a guest post. Special thanks to the following for leading the way:
- Justine Warwick
- Rebecca Warwick
- Devian Gilbert
- Sierra Dehmler
- Phil Yenovkian
- James Wrona
- Frank Henderson
- Jesse Martines
- Robert Okerblom
- Alex Cappelli
- Rita M. Goldstein
- Ron Dillender
- Ariana Green
- Natalie Oliver
- Sarah Factor
- Margaret Davis
- Elise Ehrheart
- Gregg Brady
- Wendy Booher
Thanks also to the Association of Monterey Bay Area Governments (AMBAG), Transportation Agency for Monterey County (TAMC), and Monterey-Salinas Transit (MST) for providing press releases for this site.
- Daniel Grün – German translation
- Angelica Gonzalez – Spanish translation for notes to accompany trucks/bikes safety info for a Monterey County event
Note: Spanish translation volunteers are needed.
Proofreading and copy editing in preparation for translation
Cath Tendler-Valencia – Many thanks!
At 16, MoCo native Aaron Magenheim
had been supporting bicycling in Monterey County for 10 years,
since he and his dad had helped prepare the Laguna Seca course for the first bike races. Ten years later, he’s still volunteering to help others bike in Monterey County, by contributing bike-there tips and new idea for HER Helmet Thursdays.
See separate page of acknowledgements for those who contributed prizes for Monterey County’s first Dress-Up Challenge. And see photo gallery of those modeling their love for biking in Monterey County!
Intergenerational Ride – Bike Week
For 2012, special thanks to Sports Center Bicycles of Seaside for providing a mobile bike mechanic for the Intergenerational Ride during Monterey County’s Bike Week celebration. Thanks also to Darius Rike of Monterey Off Road Cycling Association and League of American Bicyclists certified instructor Frank Henderson for their active support of this event. Intergenerational Ride co-hosts are First Presbyterian Church of Monterey and Fine Wordworking.
For 2013, tip of the helmet for the complimentary mobile bike mechanic Chris Paruolo goes to Bay Bikes of Carmel and Monterey. Additional thanks for escorting children in the brief Class II and Class III areas and other rider support goes to Vera Noghera and Randy Naylor of Velo Club Monterey; Rich Buaya, Jimmy Mastrom, and Barcley Stamey from the Naval Postgraduate School Cycling Club; Steve Benes of Gears 4 Good; Roy Pina of Shoreline Outdoors, Shoreline Community Church. Further support for this event was provided by Salinas Bike Party-a courteous social bike run and Ciclovia Salinas Committee members Eduardo Huerta, Mirna Cuentas, Natalie Oliver, and friends. First Presbyterian Church of Monterey and Fine Wordworking again served as the co-hosts of the Intergenerational Ride for 2013, with special thanks going to Elaine Cole, Carol Ferrantelli, and Jackie DeHoff.
Ciclovía Salinas – Monterey County’s First Open Streets
Ciclovía Salinas is for people who bike–and who walk, skateboard, rollerblade, and otherwise use active transportation.
Ciclovía Salinas is a youth-led initiative. Although it is not a Bicycling Monterey project, we are honored to be one of the many community volunteers who pitched in for the first Ciclovía Salinas date, October 6, 2013. We’d also like to give a shout-out to the many bike community folks and others who donated, volunteered, spread the word, or otherwise boosted Ciclovía Salinas! In addition to checking out the City of Salinas officials who made Monterey County’s first Open Streets possible, please also see the list of Ciclovía Salinas Acknowledgements: Sponsors, Volunteers, Publicists, and More.
Financial contributions for the Bicycling Monterey website and projects are needed and appreciated. Please refer to the About Contributions page to learn more.
The privacy of everyone who makes a contribution will be honored. Those who allow public acknowledgment are listed on the Contributors page.
HER Helmet Thursdays Project – Charter Participants
The strength of the foundation of the HER Helmet Thursdays Project is due to the early leadership of charter participating H-E-R businesses and organizations. They are headed up by forward-thinking professionals who made a commitment to this long-term ecology-economy sustainability project. These business owners/managers and organization directors, the people whose “Yes!” made HER Helmet Thursdays possible, represent these Charter Participants.
HER Helmet Thursdays Project – 4th Anniversary Celebration
Thanks to local bike shops in Monterey County for celebrating the 4th anniversary, Thanksgiving week 2013. Click here to see who they were and how they showed support for HER Helmet Thursdays!
Acknowledgements: Media Professionals
Savvy journalists with an ear to the ground
The HER Helmet Thursdays Project was given an early boost by the following, via print, television, and the web. I especially appreciate these highly alert media professionals who picked right up on this story:
- Mark C. Anderson of Monterey County Weekly broke the news
- Lane Wallace and Orville Myers, Monterey County Herald
- Ravi Kapur, KSBW
- Daniel Strain and Scott MacDonald, Salinas Californian
And the buzz continues about bicycling-friendly Monterey County, including HER Helmet Thursdays. While media acknowledgements listed on this page are not comprehensive, here’s a shout-out to the Monterey County Weekly for their special bike issue, “Spoke Word” (May 12-18, 2011), including “Moving Motivation,” “Pedal Perks,” “Two Speeds,” and more. Tip of the front wheel to Weekly staffers and contributors, including:
- Christy Khoshaba
- Joey Large
- Kathryn Doore
- Kera Abraham, Assistant Editor
- Mark C. Anderson, Managing Editor
- Nic Coury, Staff Photographer
The Monterey County Weekly also recognized the third anniversary of the HER Helmet Thursdays Project in “The Weekly Tally (Nov 21-28, 2012 issue).
Help spread the word by sharing posters, widgets, fliers, and pocket guides.
Acknowledgements: Spread the Good News
People who help get the word out, and assist in other ways
Thanks to these people for helping others find the Bicycling Monterey website, including the Tips for Bicycling Monterey County guide; Monterey County Bicycle Shops, Services, Clubs, and Resources; Spanish-language biking tips, the HER Helmet Thursdays project, and additional biking info and resources.
Online, on-air, in-print, in-person, and other support
The list below includes people who…
- share news via their websites or online social media, or by hosting presentations at meetings
- provide radio and television air time, or publish articles in print media
- offer complimentary consultations in their areas of expertise, or assist with research
- or help in other ways
Please bring others to my attention, so their names can be added.
This list is in approximate chronological order.
- Megan Tolbert, Monterey Green Action
- Tony Price for the Seaside-Sand City Chamber of Commerce on KNRY
- Monterey County’s Bike Shops and Services
- Family Cycle Center, Capitola
- Jim Ryan, Monterey Off Road Cycling Association (MORCA)
- Jan Valencia, Answer Man, Velo Club Monterey
- Steve E. Anderson, Velo Club Monterey – AKA Knights of the Central Coast
- PortaBella, Carmel – holiday supper
- Julie Caris, Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa – Cafe la Strada, Duck Club, Schooners, Vista Blue on Facebook
- Denice Amerison, North Monterey County Chamber of Commerce
- Em Lee’s Carmel on Facebook
- Denise Wyer, Chef’s Pride/Fishwife and Turtle Bay; and the Pacific Grove Chamber of Commerce
- Joyce Day Meuse on KNRY
- David “Doc” Reichbaum
- Erik’s DeliCafe
- Kaki Chen, Transportation Agency of Monterey County
- MAJ Chris Bachl, Naval Postgraduate School Foundation
- California State University-Monterey Bay (CSUMB)
- Guy Lasnier, KUSP Central Coast Public Radio
- Donna Brown, Sea Otter Classic – 2010 “Visit Monterey County”
- Kate and Ali Daniels, Women’s International Perspective news site (thewip.net) – WIP Talk/Sundays at Five radio show
- Devian Gilbert, Asana Cycles
- Dorothy Becker, First Presbyterian Church Women, Monterey
- Natasha Merkle, Naval Postgraduate School Earth Day Celebration
- Monterey County Weekly – Earth Day editorial on HER Helmet Thursdays
- Trish Sullivan, Destination Salinas – National Train Day
- Frank Pinto, Joselyns Bicycles, Monterey
- Nicole Gustas, Monterey County Convention & Visitors Bureau/See Monterey blog: BlogMonterey.com
- City of Monterey Solid Waste and Recycling Division – website Transportation page, and Facebook
- Anais Schenk, Association of Monterey Bay Area Governments (AMBAG) – Commute Alternatives
- Asana Cycles
- Ray Napolitano
- Janie Rommel-Eichorn and the Rotary Club of Carmel Valley
- National Steinbeck Center
- BLUE Ocean Film Festival 2010: A Global Film Festival and Conservation Summit
- Sustainable Pacific Grove
- Sustainable Salinas
- Sustainable Seaside
- MAJ Arleigh (Bill) Dean and the Naval Postgraduate School Foundation Cycling Club
- Giovanna Kha Marino of the NPS Foundation
- InfluenceGuy on Twitter
- Burnham Coaching on Twitter
- Shawna Routh, Monterey Institute of International Studies
- Cath Tendler-Valencia, Velo Club Monterey
- Stuart Thompson, Monterey Wine Groupie
- Bobby Richards, Lamp Lighter Inn, Carmel-by-the-Sea
- NorCal Bikers
- Mark Davidson of Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz
- Aquarian Bicycles, Monterey
- MacGregor Eddy, Living Car-Free in Monterey County slideshow and workshop
- Eric Squires of Light and Motion
- Hunter Harvath and Zoe Shoats, Monterey-Salinas Transit (MST), Transit Tips; and for steady communications to ensure current accuracy of Bicycling Mon terey’s bike-and-ride tips
- Focus the Region Conference
- Lacey Raak, City of Monterey
- Bobcat Bicycles, Salinas
- Casey Andrews, CSUMB Otter Radio
- Cima Collina Winery – Food and Wine Notes
- Mirabel Group
- Cantinetta Luca
- Sea Otter Classic 2011 (“Ditch the Car” and “Visit Monterey County“)
- Sports Center Bicycles, Seaside
- Earth Cycles, Santa Cruz
- Todd Wills, Naval Postgraduate School Earth Day 2011
- Kevin Smith, Director of New Media – Monterey County Weekly – Local Blogs section
- Sally Smith, Big Sur International Marathon
- Abe Lincoln, Chair of Local Organizing Committee, Seaside Stage of Amgen Tour de California
- Tina Rosa, City of Seaside Police Department, Police Activities League (PAL)
- Monterey Green Action on Facebook
- Tripwise at CSUMB on Facebook
- Michael Baroni, Green Pedal Couriers, on Facebook
- Megan Joyce, Monterey Institute of International Studies – MIIS Office of Student Services
- Susan Ragsdale-Cronin – letter to the editor and essay acknowledgement
- James Serrano, Transportation Planner for the City of Salinas
- Rich Deal, Ride Ambassador for Bike Week 2011, and City Traffic Engineer for the City of Monterey
- Hotel Les Maurs, Healdsburg, CA – on Facebook
- Kaki Cheung, TAMC, Monterey County Bike Week 2011
- Bike to Work Santa Cruz / Santa Cruz Bike Week
- Velo Club Monterey
- Scott MacDonald, The Salinas Californian
- Erik and Anneka Esborg, People for Bikes
- Gabe Alvizo
- Diego Tapia
- The City of Seaside
- Jerrod Adams, Jarrod Gillam, Seth Hooper, Cameron Ingram, David Ramsaur, and others of the NPS Cycling Club
- Lalo Villegas and Kevin Mead, City of Salinas Police Department
- Darius Rike and Michael Do Couto, Monterey Off-Road Cycling Association (MORCA)
- Juan Quintana
- Jesse Martines, bike courier, on Facebook
- Jay Bartow, Mark Peake, Joe Callaway of First Presbyterian Church, Monterey; John Clark of Steady Job, Steady Life program; and Real Goods Solar installers
- Carol Ferrantelli and Elaine Cole of First Presbyterian Church, Monterey – Bike Week/Month “Bike to Worship” announcements
- Anna Brones, Light & Motion on Twitter
- Officers Tucker and Kastor, City of Monterey Police Department
- John and Kimberly Beardshear, Remembering Kyle
- Richard Graves, Clutch Couriers, In Memory of Zachary Parke
- Steve Laufer, Central Coast Public Radio KUSP
- Katie DeClercq, Project Bike Trip
- Jenn Gerard of Monterey Green Action, Environmental Film Cafe
- El Mariachi Restaurante
- Erik Esborg, Bikes Belong and People for Bikes; Jeanne Le Page, Ecology Action of Santa Cruz; Patricia Lopez and Tina Rosa, Seaside Police Activities League; and Zoe Shoats, Monterey-Salinas Transit; all of whom made the National Night Out outreach to cyclists so successful.
- Denyse Frischmuth, Sustainable Pacific Grove
- Caz at London Cycle Chic for contributing helmets
- Jan Stotzer, Monterey Jazz Festival
- Carey Beebe Harpsichords
- Hartnell College
- Chris Johnson, Carmel-by-the-Sea Police Department
- Mike Deighton, Lighthouse Lodge & Suites, on Facebook
- Karen Rose Corcoran, Museum of Monterey, on Facebook
- Kristina Montellese, Montellese Family Chiropractic, on Facebook
- Veronica Lezama, San Benito County Council of Governments
- Laura Ramirez – proofreading of Spanish outreach flier
- Brighid O’Keane, Dave Snyder, and Jim Brown, California Bicycle Coalition
- Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Dave Clark, Monterey Park Neighborhood Watch on Facebook
- Cory Caletti, Santa Cruz County Regional Transportation Commission and Ariana Green, former intern with SCCRTC and former transportation planner for the City of Monterey (as of Jan 2013, Ariana is a transportation planner for the Transportation Agency of Monterey County)
- Susan Kent, Monterey County Health Department
- Connor Barr, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
- Henrietta Stern and Fort Ord Recreation Trails Friends
- Kelly McMillin, Salinas Police Department
- Claudia Meléndez Salinas, School Bytes Blog, Monterey County Herald – intro to Bicycling Monterey
- Sarah Sponaugle, Blue Ocean Film Festival 2012
- Matthew Sundt and Steve Blum, Velo Club Monterey
- Kaki Cheung, Debbie Hale, and Kristen Hoschouer, Transportation Agency for Monterey County
- CalBike Report
- Paraiso Vineyards
- Jackie Pelley, Portola Hotel & Spa blog; and Portola Hotel & Spa events calendar
- American College & University Presidents’ Climate Commitment – CSUMB Report
- Pino’s Cafe, Monterey – “Cup of kindness”
- Souza’s Alisal Pharmacy, Salinas
- CopyMat of Salinas
- Terry Gomez and Omar Chombo, Clinica de Salud del Valle de Salinas
- Constantino Lozano, Over the Top Cycling
- Bike Shack, Watsonville
- Novie Ayson Monterey County Youth Center
- Jane Leatham, First Presbyterian Church of Monterey for church notices regarding intergenerational ride
- Santa Cruz Pedicab
- Stephanie Nelson, Association of Monterey Bay Area Governments
- Dena and Tyler Donnell, Naval Postgraduate School Cycling Club
- Jeannie Pruitt-Retamoso, Sea Otter Classic
- Jeff Lindenthal, Salinas High School Cowboy Racing Mountain Bike Team
- Alex Cappelli, Velo Club Monterey
- Mark Roth, Sports Center Bicycles, Seaside
- Warren Anderson, Stevenson School
- Dave & Holly Cycling the Pacific Coast, benefiting leukaemia & lymphoma research
- Rita Dalessio and Neil Agron, Ventana Chapter of the Sierra Club, Beyond Oil Campaign
- Shawn Carden and Dawn Allen
- Jeanie Ward-Waller, Ride America for Safe Routes
- NPS Cycling Club re teaching local scouts: Lieutenant Commander Jeremy Clark (USN); Lieutenant Angela Lefler (USN), Public Affairs Officer for the Cycling Club; Major Andy Sheehan (USAF), Club Sponsorships; Captain Nolan Semrau (USAF), Club President; and Lieutenant Matt Mckenzie (USN), Club Vice-President.
- NPS Foundation Announcements
- Marissa Herold, Bay Bikes
- Monterey Bay Blues Festival – Outreach to visitors seeking bike-there tips
- Lisa Rike, Monterey Off Road Cycling Association – 2012 Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day
- AmeriKen Houwat, Monterey Off Road Cycling Association – HHT outreach on the bikeways
- Jeff Richman – AIDS LifeCycle ride
- Kathy Richman, for faithfully serving as a research support for bike Salinas tips
- Andy Cook, 2012 Bike Week, Transportation Agency for Monterey County
- Tim Orr and Jan Stotzer, 2012 Monterey Jazz Festival
- Ben Gomberg, Monterey Public Library – Research assistance
- Office of Mayor Dennis Donohue – Sharing availability of bicycling resources with City of Salinas website visitors
- Jacques Mercadal, the Stunning Image – re Shawn [Carden]
- Captain Nolan Semrau (USAF) re Tribute Ride for Captain Alan Poindexter
- Andrew Kipsey, Bridge Restoration Ministry B2BBikeRide.com
- Anna Fahey, Sightline Daily: News & Views for a Sustainable Northwest – “Babes on Bikes II”
- Matt de Nesnera of KION
- Jacqueline Tualla of KION, for bike safety component in her story about the local 7/31/12 bicycle accident
- Nathan Pierce, for online conversations and otherwise sharing the news about bicycling in Monterey County; and for again serving as bike valet volunteer coordinator for Monterey Jazz Fest
- BayView Deli & BBQ, Monterey – “Cup of kindness”
- Jeremy Wedlake, NPS Cycling Club – helmet delivery for South County youth 8/15/12 outreach
- Lisa Rike, Monterey Off Road Cycling Association (MORCA) – Outreach re Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day
- Vera Noghera, Velo Club Monterey – VCM board presentation for South County youth 8/15/12 outreach
- Salinas Police Department, for their support of increasing awareness about bike safety and CA bike laws; also to Salinas PAL
- Theresia Rogerson of the Santa Cruz County Health Services Agency for passing along news of Bicycling Monterey
- Saskia Lucas, coordinator of the first Santa Cruz Open Streets event
- Rob and Kath Garcia for outreach to youth
- Jan and Cath Valencia of VCMonterey.org, for mobile mechanic and other assistance to fellow bikers at Salinas Bike Party
- Organizers of Salinas Bike Party, who wish to remain anonymous, for building community and initiating new opportunities for enjoying the pleasures of biking Salinas
- Tammy Blount and Cree Crawford, for MCCVB’s growing interesting in bicycling
- Helen Singley and Ericka Mayorga of Greenfield Village Apartments for welcoming a bicycling presence at the first South County Health & Safety Fair
- Claudia Meléndez Salinas, School Bytes Blog, Monterey County Herald, “Back to School: A new chance to start biking”
- Megan Joyce, Monterey Institute of International Studies – MIIS Office of Student Services - 2012 Info Fair
- Kelly Violini, Monterey County Fair – Sharing news on FB re the fair’s first bicycle valet service
- Lauryn Rodriguez – research assistance
- Sasha Tepedelenova, AMBAG – support for bike safety and biking/alternative transportation outreach
- Virginia H. Mendoza – oral translation at East Salinas community gathering
- Octavio Gutierrez – affirmation of bike-and-ride for serious cyclists
- Helen Singley, Raul Rodriguez, and other Greenfield Rotary Club members
- Richard Masoner, Cyclelicious
- Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula’s Peninsula Wellness Center on Twitter and Facebook
- Devin Meheen of Bay Bikes
- Mark Kintz
- Eric Cushman and the Monterey County Weekly for ongoing recognition of the HER Helmet Thursdays project.
- Angela Lefler and the Naval Postgraduate School Cycling Club members, for responding to requests for general bike community support.
- Pat Ottone, the Ottone Restaurant Group, for being a charter participant in HER Helmet Thursdays and for continued support
- HER Helmet Thursdays participants Hahn Wines, Passionfish, PeterBsBrewpub, and Portola Hotel, for steadily sharing news about the project on Twitter.
- The Monterey Plaza Hotel on behalf of HER Helmet Thursdays participants Cafe La Strada, Schooners, and Vista Blue Spa, for sharing news about the project on Twitter.
- Celeste White and White Page Communications for sharing news about Bicycling Monterey and the HER Helmet Thursdays project on Twitter
- Lisa Mitchell, the Monterey County Herald, for research support
- Larry Parsons, the Monterey County Herald, for coverage on the City of Monterey Multimodal Mobility Plan
- League of American Bicyclists and the Alliance for Biking and Walking, for tweeting @HERHelmetThurs news about bike-friendly Monterey County
- Lea Davison and Sabra Davison of Little Bellas, for tweeting news about @BikeMonterey and bike-friendly Monterey County
- MIIS and MPC for sharing Bicycling Monterey and HER Helmet Thursdays news via Twitter and Facebook
- Jeanne Le Page, Ecology Action of Santa Cruz, for helping keep Bicycling Monterey in touch with our neighboring Santa Cruz County’s bike news.
- Chris Nelson, for hosting Mari Lynch about Bicycling Monterey and HER Helmet Thursdays on KRML’s 3/27/13 Pub Talk
- Henri Stern of Monterey Off Road Cycling Association (MORCA), Angela Lefler of the Naval Postgraduate School Cycling Club, and and Vera Noghera, Velo Club Monterey for serving as club information resources for Bicycling Monterey
- Waste Management Monterey for steadily sharing news about Bicycling Monterey and the HER Helmet Thursdays project on Twitter
- Cyclelogical for repeatedly tweeting Bicycling Monterey’s news about bike-friendly Monterey County.
- Kevin Suess, Normal, IL geography teacher and bike advocate, for repeatedly sharing news about bike-friendly Monterey County
- Cody Meyer, AMBAG, for delivering items for bike safety outreach
- Dennis Renault, sharing bike news with others
- James Serrano, traffic engineer, City of Salinas – history and updates on City of Salinas transportation; and again regarding Ciclovia Salinas traffic control plan/detour map
- Andy Cook of TAMC, Bicycle Sharing Feasibility updates
- Ariana Green of TAMC, Complete Streets assessment info, including Salinas outreach
- Rachel Gonzalez, Central Coast Youth Sports Organization – spreading news of the Bicycling Monterey resources in South County
- Alan Romero, a planner with Monterey Bay Unified Air Pollution Control District, for highlighting some facts for the bike community about how the work of MBUAPCD impacts bicycling
- Christopher Kidd of Alta Planning in Oakland, board member of the California Bicycle Coalition, for compiling list of 535 local jurisdictions (cities, counties) in California and their sidewalk cycling rules. Kidd’s work shortened Bicycling Monterey’s research time in expanding the sidewalk info in bike laws and safety tips
- Richard Masoner of Cyclelicious for highlighting Kidd’s research in the Cyclelicious 11/16/12 sidewalk riding post
- Angel Garibaldo, Salinas Valley Chamber, for spreading the word about the joys of biking Salinas
- Salinas Californian, for sharing news of the 2013 Intergenerational Ride via their Education Digest (4/15/13, page 2)
- Ann O’Rourke, Monterey Bay Unified Air Pollution Control District, for sharing April-May bike community calendar in highlighting Clean Air Month
- Richard Masoner of Cyclelicious for helping others find info on 2013 Bike Week/Month activities for Monterey County
- Ana Gabriela Ibarra and Natalie Oliver for updates on Ciclovia Salinas
- Peter Mounteer, writer, and Marge Ann Jameson, publisher of Cedar Street Times, for Peter’s story, “Intergenerational Bike Ride” (5/3/13, page 15)–and for including the HER Helmet Thursdays project as well
- Rachel Zentz of the Salinas Californian for sharing news of the annual Intergenerational Ride in “Education Digest” (4/15/13) and in “Events Calendar”
- Allyson Thommen of the Monterey County Convention and Visitors Bureau for sharing news of the annual Intergenerational Ride in her “This Weekend’s Top Events” (5/8/13) at BlogMonterey.com; and again for Ciclovia Salinas (10/3/13)
- Sharon Gavin, Community Outreach Coordinator, Transportation Agency for Monterey County, for 5/30/13 “Your Town” interview.
- State Senator Bill Monning, Holly Heimer, Breathe California-Central Coast, and the Monterey Bay Unified Air Pollution Control District for honoring Mari Lynch, Bicycling Monterey, and HER Helmet Thursdays for contributions to clean air
- Brian Stettenbenz, Monterey Plaza Hotel, for spreading news of HER Helmet Thursdays and Bicycling Monterey on Twitter
- Tom Cassera, League of American Bicyclists instructor in Santa Cruz County, for sharing news on Twitter, and for general support
- Isaiah Bautista, age 6, and dad, Julio, for help preparing bike advocacy materials
- Lynn Moimboissee for her video and blog post linked in “11-Mile Fort Ord Ride: Friends of the Fort Ord Warhorse“
- Claudia Meléndez Salinas, School Bytes Blog, Monterey County Herald, for helping to get the word out about Ciclovía Salinas with her post “Ciclovía coming to Salinas“
- Garland Thompson, City of Salinas, for serving as an information resource on the Salinas Youth Poet Laureate program
- Elise Ehrheart, Ecology Action of Santa Cruz, for follow-up regarding EA link updates for Bicycle Safety Tips for Youth included in Bicycling Monterey’s CA Bike Laws and Safety Tips
- Jim Toy, for sharing news of Bicycling Monterey in the Sports & Recreation section of Monterey Peninsula Toy Box
- Roddick Guthrie, for sharing news of Bicycling Monterey in the Bicycling Salinas section of Street Smart Salinas
- Taqueria del Mar, Monterey, for fueling this work with a hearty supply of yummy artichoke tacos
- Zoe Shoats, Monterey-Salinas Transit, for updates on bike lockers at MST transit centers
- Cory Houston, Mechanix, for going the extra mile in supporting the Monterey County Youth Center bike class
- Deborah Lynch, CalTrans, for communications on infrastructure work affecting Monterey County bike paths
- Elise Ehrheart, Ecology Action of Santa Cruz, for update on TAMC-contracted bike safety events for Monterey County kids
- Mary Lauran Hall and Alliance for Biking and Walking, for making available (e.g., to benefit Ciclovia Salinas) mutual aid calls on coordinating volunteers for Open Streets events
- Andrew Kipsey, for updates on B2B Ride 2013
- Monterey Museum of Art (La Mirada and Pacific) on Facebook, announcing HER Helmet Thursdays
- De Tierra Vineyards on Facebook, announcing HER Helmet Thursdays
- Deborah Warcken, for spreading the news about Ciclovia Salinas on Facebook
- Cheri Miller, Mayor/City Manager’s Office, City of Salinas
- Ray Corpuz, City Manager, City of Salinas
- Michael Ricker, City of Salinas, for spreading the word about Bicycling Monterey resources; and again for delivering Salinas bike maps for safety outreach
- José Eduardo Huerta for extraordinary work on Ciclovia Salinas, including graphic arts
- Andrea Manzo, Building Health Communities-East Salinas, for communications regarding Ciclovia Salinas
- Ricardo Navarro of KION for coverage about Ciclovia Salinas
- James Serrano, Gary E. Petersen, Robert Russell, and other City of Salinas staff for working hard to evaluate whether City should support Ciclovia Salinas–before reaching their recommendation of YES
- City of Salinas Council for fully supporting the first Ciclovia Salinas on 10/6/13, per their 9/24/13 vote
- Steve McShane for spreading the word about Ciclovia Salinas resources available on the Bicycling Monterey website.
- Karen Kefauver for spreading the news about Ciclovia Salinas.
- Natalie Oliver, Andrea Manzo, Eduardo Huerta, Maria Cardenas, and Ana Gabriela Ibarra for communications regarding Ciclovia Salinas.
- And thanks to the many, many individuals and organizations who partnered with Bicycling Monterey and others in doing what we all could to boost Monterey County’s first Open Streets–the youth-led initiative, Ciclovía Salinas! Please see the list of all their names; click here.
- Cathy Faber of InterContinental the Clement Monterey, Todd Wessing of Hotel Pacific, and Ralph Bozzo of Gino’s Fine Italian for faithfully responding to HER Helmet Thursdays email communication.
- Susie Brusa of Rancho Cielo for spreading news on Facebook about Bicycling Monterey’s Bike Salinas tips and Mari’s Salinas Californian commentary on Ciclovia Salinas.
- Jane Parker for spreading news on Facebook about Bike Salinas tips.
- Trish Sullivan of Destination Salinas / Salinas 411 for sharing Tips for Bicycling Monterey County with visitors.
- Joel Hernandez Laguna for distributing Bicycling Monterey’s bike laws and safety tip fliers for Spanish speakers.
- Jose A. Arrollea, Community Alliance for Safety and Peace Future Futuro, for spreading news about bike resources for youth and their families.
- Monterey Contemporaries for spreading the news about HER Helmet Thursdays on Facebook
- Point Pinos Grill for spreading news of HER Helmet Thursdays on Facebook
- Cycle Tracks Monterey for spreading news of HER Helmet Thursdays 4th anniversary on Facebook
- Over the Top Cycling for spreading news of HER Helmet Thursdays–including by suggesting this cool idea
- Paraiso Vineyards, for spreading the buzz about HER Helmet Thursdays in Soledad
- AjY on Foursquare for spreading the buzz in “What’s good here in Pacific Grove: Toasties is in the HER Helmet Thursdays project
- Sweet Elena’s on Facebook, for spreading the buzz on Facebook that they’re in the HER Helmet Thursdays project
- Hotel Pacific on Facebook, sharing the news that 10 local bike shops are giving prizes to celebrate the 4th anniversary of HER Helmet Thursdays
- Helmets.org for referring to Bicycling Monterey’s Spanish resources section
- California by Bike tour for plans to benefit Bicycling Monterey; and organizers of the local gathering for creating such a fun evening for the public
- Chris Cain of Monterey Bay Racing Team for sharing a heads-up with the bike community regarding Madonna Del Sasso’s bike rodeo (click here)
Bicycling Monterey “Street Team”
This is a grassroots effort, and those who share the news with others are making a vital contribution. Thanks to all who display posters or fliers. And gratitude also goes to those who step up (or pedal up) and share news word-of-mouth or via mini-fliers. Team up with them by keeping some minis in your pocket or pack!
Derrick Chao and Kyle Ingebretson of the San Francisco Bay Area just learned about the Bicycling Monterey resources and the HER Helmet Thursdays Project.
Taqueria Del Mar was one of the first 100 participants in HER Helmet Thursdays
* * * * *
If you found information on this site valuable, please consider making a contribution to help maintain and expand these resources. Even the smallest contribution is meaningful and appreciated.