Posted by marilynch
Best of Monterey County 2016 – Award-Winning HER Helmet Thursdays Participants
Congratulations to the many HER Helmet Thursdays participants who won Best of Monterey County 2016 awards in the Monterey County Weekly’s Annual Readers’ Poll and Editors’ Picks.
- Thank you to each one of these businesses or organizations for participating in the HER Helmet Thursdays Project, founded November 2009. Together they are helping to make Monterey County one of the most bicycling friendly places in America, by offering 10-50% discounts on Thursdays year-round (with some date restrictions).
- These and other bike-friendly Hotels, Educational and entertainment venues, Restaurants, and related places all help to care for HER / Mother Earth by encouraging bicycling. For each one’s individual listing (percentage discount and other details), refer to the latest Quick Reference Guide, found on the Listings / FAQs /How to Get Discounts page.
For your convenience, the current guide–an alphabetical listing of all participants–is provided right here: HER Helmet Thursdays – Quick Reference Guide – as of 4 April 2016
These bike-friendly award winners are listed below in the order in which they appear in the Weekly. Check out the Weekly online or pick up a print edition for details on their awards.
Readers’ Poll Award Winners
- The Wharf Marketplace – Best Business Sign
- Rocky Point Restaurant – Best Drink with a View
- Hula’s Island Grill – Monterey – Best Happy Hour
- Lallapalooza – Best Singles Bar
- Knuckles Sports Bar Hyatt Regency Monterey – Best Sports Bar
- Scheid Vineyards Tasting Room Carmel and Greenfield – Best Tasting Room
- Hahn Family Wines – Best Winery to Visit
- Britannia Arms of Monterey – Best Place for Karaoke
- East Village Coffee Lounge (a member of the Carmel Valley Coffee Roasting Co. family, all awarded) – Best Coffee Shop
- Monterey Museum of Art, Pacific and La Mirada – Best Art Gallery
- Passionfish Restaurant – Best Restaurant in Monterey County and Best Restaurant Pacific Grove
- First Awakenings Salinas and First Awakenings Pacific Grove – Best Breakfast
- Turtle Bay Taqueria-Seaside and The Turtle Bay Taqueria-Monterey – Best Cheap Eats
- Rio Grill Restaurant – Best Restaurant in a Shopping Center
- Happy Girl Kitchen Co. – Best Restaurant for Vegetarians
- Baan Thai Restaurant – Best Thai Restaurant
- Peppers Mexicali Cafe – Best Mexican Restaurant
- Fifi’s Bistro Cafe – Best French Restaurant
- Cafe Rustica – Best Restaurant in Carmel Valley
- Ginos Fine Italian Restaurant – Best Restaurant in Salinas
- Sweet Elena’s Bakery & Café – Best Restaurant in Sand City
- Fishwife Seaside – Best Restaurant in Seaside
- La Balena Carmel – Best Restaurant in Carmel
- Hula’s Island Grill – Monterey – Best Appetizers / Small Plates
- Rio Grill Restaurant’s Jared A. Taubert – Best Waiter or Waitress
- Alvarado Street Brewery & Grill – Best Local Beer
- East Village Coffee Lounge (one of the Carmel Valley Coffee Roasting Co. family, all awarded) – Best Cappuccino/Latte
- Perfectly Pressed Juice Bar, Marina, Prunedale, Salinas, and Seaside – Best Cold Pressed Juice
- Bagel Bakery, Carmel (one of the Bagel Bakery family, all awarded) – Best Bagel
- From Scratch Restaurant – Best Omelet
- The Wharf Marketplace – Best Salads
- Michael’s Grill, Salinas (one of three Michael’s Grill & Taquerias to be awarded) – Best Burrito
- Happy Girl Kitchen Co. – Best Pickle
- London Bridge Pub – Fisherman’s Wharf – Best Fish & chips
- Cannery Row Brewing Company – Best Fried Chicken
- MYO Pure Frozen Yogurt, Monterey, Salinas, Seaside – Best Ice Cream / Frozen Yogurt
- Aquaterra Culinary – chefs for HER Helmet Thursdays spot Point Pinos Grill – Best Catering Company
- International Market & Deli – Best Ethnic Market
- Montellese Family Chiropractic – Best Chiropractor (congrats, Chris Montellese and Kristina Montellese)
- Frank Savino of Aquablue Spa – Best Massage Therapist
- Portola Hotel & Spa’s Spa on the Plaza – Best Place for Skin Care
Editors’ Picks Award Winners
- Papa Chevo’s Taco Shop (Monterey) – Best Brotherly Rivalry, The 16″ Burrito Battle
- Hacienda Mexican Grill – Best Local Venue Disguised as a Chain
- Cafe Ariana – Best Bar to Tittle-Tattle with Gal Pals
Please thank these award winners for helping to build a more bike-friendly Monterey County.
And since Sea Otter Classic is coming up April 14-17, 2016, tell #SeaOtterClassic visitors asking for local tips that these and all HER Helmet Thursdays spots give discounts on Thursday, April 14th too. No date restriction on Sea Otter Classic’s Opening Day, as Sea Otter’s “Visit Monterey County” page points out.
For Sea Otter Classic tips on the Bicycling Monterey website, click here.
#BestOfMontereyCounty #bikefriendly #MontereyCounty #bikesmeanbusiness #SeeMonterey