Posted by marilynch
Bicycling Monterey News – January 2016
Bicycling Monterey subscribers received on January 22, 2016 a list of 22 recent posts or other news, all listed below. In addition, they received notice of two Bicycling Monterey firsts: a first fundraising campaign, and to help bring that to people’s attention, first video too. Check out the…
bike scene in Monterey County!
The Go Fund Me campaign is the crowdfunding component of the first-ever fundraising campaign for the Bicycling Monterey website and projects. It was launched by ten women on December 22, 2015. Everyone who visits bikemonterey.org is encouraged, at minimum, to make a one-time contribution of $5. Thank you for your consideration and support. Those who are able to contribute more may wish to set up a monthly contribution, which can be done via Go Fund Me or PayPal. (Click here to learn more.)
Special thanks to Monterey native Laurel Thomsen and Winnipeg’s Dan Frechette for supporting this video project. To make it possible to set the slides to music, they gifted rights to use their original songs. You may have seen Dan and Laurel in a front-page story in the Monterey Herald on May 24, 2015; Laurel on the front page of New York Times, January 10, 2012; or seen or heard them elsewhere in a multitude of places.
For those who haven’t yet subscribed, here’s the January 22, 2016 Bicycling Monterey buzz.
In addition, see the January 23 post, “Castroville Library: A Resource for People Who Bike,” and updates about Luciano Rodriguez, who received a special award on January 27!
- Climate Change / COP 21: There’s increasing awareness that climate change actions include transportation choices. HER Helmet Thursdays helps cut carbon emissions and costs. HER Helmet Thursdays is a long-term project that began its seventh year in November 2015. See below the new participants who joined in 2015. They are now among the hundreds of Monterey County businesses and organizations participating! Please volunteer if you can, as HER Helmet Thursdays is a very time-intensive project (and that’s all unpaid time for me, as with all the Bicycling Monterey projects). There’s lots of room for this project to grow. And whether because you care about climate change or support other benefits of bicycling, please let these businesses and organizations know you appreciate their encouraging more people to bike. Before claiming your discount, refer to the individual spot’s details by clicking their name in the Quick Reference Guide. The most current guide is always found on the “LISTINGS, How to Get the Discounts, and FAQs” page. For your convenience, here’s the January 2016 edition: HER Helmet Thursdays – Quick Reference Guide – as of 11 January 2016
- Please welcome the 17 newest participants in HER Helmet Thursdays. Together, they help to make Monterey County a more bike-friendly place! All 17 happen to be in the restaurants category, with the exception of one lodging provider—Old Monterey Inn, Monterey; and one museum store—Pacific Grove Natural History Museum store, Pacific Grove. Keep reading below for the new restaurants (and related places) . And remember to refer to their listing before claiming your discount. Find it easily in the Quick Reference Guide on the Listings/FAQs page.
Birrieria & Restaurant Estilo Coalcoman, Castroville;
Bon Ton L’Roy’s Lighthouse Smokehouse, Monterey;
El Zacatecano, Salinas;
Ginger Thai, Salinas;
G’s Tacos, Pajaro;
Hacienda Mexican Grill, Salinas;
Hale Kai Lana Kona Coffee, Sand City;
Lugano Swiss Bistro, Carmel;
Mi Tierra, Salinas:
Namaste India Bistro, Monterey;
Perfectly Pressed Juice Bar ‘n’ Eatery, Prunedale;
Real Colima I, Pajaro;
Rocky Point Restaurant, Carmel (located along the Big Sur coast);
Taqueria El Kiosko, Salinas
- Shawn Carden has been featured on Bicycling Monterey since 2012. What’s he up to now? http://marilynch.com/blog/shawn-carden-bmx-pro-from-salinas.html
- “Children and Teens Growing Up Bikewise” has been extensively updated and revised, including some infrastructure highlights: http://marilynch.com/blog/growing-up-street-wise-bicycling-children-of-carmel.html
- Caltrans is developing for the first time a California State Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan (CSBPP). http://marilynch.com/blog/california-state-bicycle-and-pedestrian-plan.html
- Regarding Class IV bikeways / protected bike lanes, City of Salinas Transportation Planner James Serrano was among the small group of transportation professionals from throughout the state who gathered in 2015 to share ideas in Sacramento. Learn more under “Here’s what’s meant by the four different types of bikeways” in http://marilynch.com/blog/tips-for-tourists/where-to-cycle
- “Twilight Rides” has been updated too, in response to someone puzzled about where to park and more. http://marilynch.com/blog/twilight-bike-rides-laguna-seca.html
- Remember to check the Master Calendar for Monterey County bike-related events, activities, and meetings: http://marilynch.com/blog/resources/calendar-of-bike-related-events-for-monterey-county
- Submit your dates for the calendar via this new form created in 2015: http://marilynch.com/blog/resources/calendar-of-bike-related-events-for-monterey-county/submit-a-listing-for-the-master-calendar-for-bicycling-monterey-county
- Good news: See “infrastructure update” in this Bicycling Monterey section highlighting North Monterey County: http://marilynch.com/blog/biking-monterey-county-its-not-just-about-the-peninsula.html
- January 29 is the deadline to make nominations in the Monterey County Weekly’s annual Best of Monterey County awards. Show some bike love by considering the various examples provided here: http://marilynch.com/blog/2016-best-of-monterey-county.html
- Monterey County residents: Feb 4 is the deadline for property owners to apply for free bike repair stations, racks, or lockers, and skateboard racks too. Details: http://marilynch.com/blog/bicycle-parking-security-storage.html
- Keep in touch regarding road skills trainings and League of American Bicyclists licensed cycling instructor trainings planned for Monterey County in 2016: http://marilynch.com/blog/bike-skills-trainings-in-monterey-county-a-tamc-and-csumb-partnership.html
- Got dog? http://marilynch.com/blog/tips-for-dog-lovers-biking-monterey-county-and-elsewhere.html
- San Benito County is part of the Monterey Bay Tri-County region. What’s up with our neighbors? http://marilynch.com/blog/san-benito-county-rides-maps-mentors-and-more.html
- The Fort Ord Rec Trail and Greenway is an exciting vision! Learn a bit here: http://marilynch.com/blog/122-fort-ord-trails-symposium-regional-trails-transit-economic-vitality.html
- Since fall 2015, I’m doing “Bike Ed” nights on an occasional basis for the 14- to 17-year-old boys at the Monterey County Probation Department Youth Center. If you want to help with that, please give me a call. Also, Bike Repair and Safety Class there rolls on, thanks to other volunteers: class coordinator and instructor Luciano Rodriguez and instructor Frank Henderson. Both men contacted me and started volunteering in 2012 and have faithfully stayed with the class. Background, including qualifications for volunteers: http://marilynch.com/blog/teach-teens-well-bicycle-repair-instructors-needed-for-monterey-county-youth.html
- Did you know? City of Monterey continues to offer bike maintenance classes for kids 8 and up and for teens and adults too. See http://marilynch.com/blog/bicycle-repair-class-for-kids-and-adults-residents-and-visitors.html
- And of course, mark your calendars for April 14-17, 2016 – Sea Otter Classic, a Celebration of Cycling! http://marilynch.com/blog/april-16-19-25th-annual-sea-otter-classic-a-celebration-of-cycling.html
- Amgen Stage 4 finish comes to Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca for the first time on May 18, 2016: http://marilynch.com/blog/amgen-in-monterey-county.html
- In case you missed it earlier, here’s a fun guest post from 2015 about a local bike commuter mom: http://marilynch.com/blog/bike-month-profile-b-is-for-bipedalism-the-bike-jones-of-mindy-surratt.html
- POSTERS! POSTERS! There are all sorts provided on the Posters page, from bike law summaries in Spanish and English to a poster highlighting the Salinas HER Helmet Thursdays spots, and much more. The newest poster is also provided right here: Go Fund Me – Bicycling Monterey – poster Please print that PDF and share that poster, shown below, at your workplace, on a community bulletin board, etc. Help people find https://www.gofundme.com/bikemonterey! Thanks.