Posted by marilynch
Bike Love: From Holland to Monterey
This happy Dutch trio was heading out the door of the Old Monterey Cafe, where they’d just finished a satisfying breakfast, as I was passing by. I spotted their rental trailer and bikes, and knowing they were likely visitors–because of the rentals–I greeted them and inquired.
“Yes, we’re from Holland.”
“Ah, Holland! I suppose you bike a lot at home.”
“Oh, yes! We bike everywhere at home, so of course, we bike here too.”
Be a bike community ambassador by sharing local biking resources with a visitor. See end of this post.
“Yeah! Shoes off now!”
Resources for biking in Monterey County
Print some minis or other materials to keep with you, so you can easily help others find these and additional resources.
Tips for Bicycling Monterey County, a 20-section guide, including:
- California Bike Laws and Personal Safety Tips
- Bike Rentals and Tours
- Bike-and-Ride Options
- Bicycle Valet and Other Bike Parking
- Bike Security, with Unique List of Places to Go
- Bike Maps and Other Tools for Finding Your Way
- Where to Bike in Monterey County
- Tips for Serious Cyclists–including local bike clubs, riding groups, and much more
- Bicycle Shops
- Bike Repair and Maintenance
Lodging–including camping–plus showers for day visitors:
- Hotels, hostel, and other lodging providers in the HER Helmet Thursdays project (more on the project below)
- Camping in Monterey County
- Shower and change locations for day visitors
HER Helmet Thursdays discounts, for males and females who bike:
Listings of over 200 Monterey County participating locations. While discounts are on Thursdays only, the listings are still helpful seven days a week! Why? They are a way to find recommended businesses and organizations, plus most listings including bike-there tips as well.