H-E-R Helmet Thurs INFO
Quick links to HER Helmet Thursdays
Discounts on Thursdays for males and females who bike!
1. Where and how to get discounts
- Click here for Listings and FAQs–where and how to get discounts (for males and females, locals and visitors), at hundreds of places throughout Monterey County.
- Discounts are on Thursdays year-round, with some date restrictions.
- Discounts are morning, afternoon, and night, 12:00 a.m. until 11:59 p.m., on Thursdays.(Click for night riding tips.)
- Discounts are between 10 and 50 percent off the total tab; some exclude alcohol. (Click here for news about the first winery participants, including how to avoid a BUI).
- For discounts other than lodging, to get the discount, you bike or bike-and-ride there; show helmet as evidence.
- For lodging discounts, see “How and Where to Get a Lodging Discount.”
Looking for a 2-minute audio or video intro? Scroll down.
2. Have an H-E-R business or organization? Join the project!
What’s H-E-R? H-E-R is an acronym for Hotels, Educational and Entertainment spots, and Restaurants. Related places, such as wineries, can participate too. HER also refers to Mother Earth, who benefits from more people biking!
This is a long-term ecology-economy sustainability project. Launched in 2009, the project continues to be provided as a public service. There are still no fees to participate, no ads to buy. Questions? Contact Mari Lynch, 831.375.6278.
- Online Sign-Up (or sign up by phone, 831-375-6278)
- Staff Reference Sheet
- Download “Participant” poster and more: Posters, Web Links, and Other Project Resources
* * * * *
Learn more about HER Helmet Thursdays,
and how you can help.
How did the project get started?
- Read “Wheel the Earth [click here]” in the Monterey County Weekly–its Earth Day 2010 “Local Spin,” which summarizes the history of the project.
- Listen to a 2-minute audio “What’s up with the bike helmet buzz?” [click here]“ from KUSP Central Coast Public Radio, aired 4/14/10.
- Watch a 2-minute video “Project Economy: Bicycling Monterey” [click here]“ – A KSBW-TV Top News Story aired 1/10/10.
Charter Participants: Special thanks to the early leaders
Charter Participants are visionaries who led the way in building a more bike-friendly county.
Curious to know more about participants?
- Best of Monterey County award winners
- Seafood Watch spots helping to keep oil and more out of the Monterey Bay
- wineries giving discounts to people who bike for wine
- a neighborhood unanimously in HER Helmet Thursdays
- and much more, in the HER Helmet Thursdays (All Posts) section.
Spread the good news
More ways to participate–including inviting a favorite spot
- For People Who Bike (includes how to invite new businesses and organizations)
- For Anyone (for those who want to support this ecology-economy sustainability project, whether or not they bike)
Besides the above-referenced media stories, you may also be curious to read other early media reports; find them in Goals, Overview, and History. And here are the earliest Bicycling Monterey posts about the project.
- Introducing HER Helmet Thursdays: An Ecology-Economy Partnership
- HER Helmet Thursdays, Part II—FAQs
- Partner Up with HER Helmet Thursdays Ecology-Economy Leaders – More FAQs
Questions? Contact Mari Lynch, 831.375.6278.