Goals, Overview, History of the HER Helmet Thursdays Project
To build a more bike-friendly county while helping to sustain the environment and economy…
HER Helmet Thursdays businesses and organizations give discounts on Thursdays year-round to males and females who bike. The project reached its 5th Anniversary Thanksgiving week 2009.
Monterey County businesses and organizations are welcome to sign up online. HER Helmet Thursdays is appropriate for other geographic locations too. Scroll down to “Catch the Vision.”
Goals and Overview
HER Helmet Thursdays? Sounds like a bike safety thing for females.
No, here’s what’s up:
HER Helmet Thursdays raises awareness that this county is a great place to bike–and helps make it an even more bike-friendly place!
HER refers to Mother Earth, who benefits from more people bicycling. And…
HER is also an acronym referring to participating H-E-R businesses and organizations. All offer discounts, between 10 and 50 percent, on Thursdays year-round to males and females who bike.
In Monterey County, H-E-R spots include the following.
- H=Hotels, and other lodging (for example, bed-and-breakfasts, country inns, hostels
- E=Entertainment venues and Educational attractions (including museums, concert venues, whale-watching, and some you might not think of–e.g., spas)
- R=Restaurants, and related places (such as, wineries, coffee houses, bakeries, delis, and any place where there is sit-down food or beverage service)
Why the helmet?
In California, helmets are required by law for bicyclists under age 18. Being a common biking accessory for youth, the helmet was chosen as the evidence of bicycling. No need for a coupon or card!
For frequently asked questions/FAQs, see the listings page.
History: Media Introductions
As a public service, the HER Helmet Thursdays project was created and launched in Monterey County in 2009 by Mari Lynch and Fine Wordworking.
Below are some introductions from local media.
- History/how it started: Wheel the Earth: HER Helmet Thursdays cuts carbon emissions and costs - The Monterey County Weekly, 4/22/10
- 2-minute audio What’s up with the bike helmet buzz? – KUSP Central Coast Public Radio, 4/14/10
- 2-minute video Project Economy: Bicycling Monterey – A KSBW-TV Top News Story, 1/10/10
- HER Helmet Thursdays fosters more bike-friendly neighborhoods countywide. Salinas bike riders offered discounts at local businesses – The Salinas Californian, 2/1/10
- HER Helmet Thursdays gives businesses and organizations a way to market themselves as “green” in a genuinely meaningful way, as they partner with bicyclists to help sustain both the environment and economy. Green riders in Monterey County – The Monterey County Herald, 1/9/10
Live outside Monterey County?
Catch the Vision!
Want discounts for cyclists where you live, work, or play? HER Helmet Thursdays can be adopted in other geographic locations.
- If you would like to set up a project in your area, please contact Mari Lynch to schedule a consultation or for more details. This initiative was created and launched in Monterey County in 2009 as a public service.
- Please respect trademark and copyright.
- The League of American Bicyclists provides breakdowns by Congressional districts of how bicycling benefits the American economy. For the 20th District, which includes Monterey County, California, click here. For other states and districts, click here.
There are a variety of bicycling incentive programs around the United States; here are three that specifically offer discounts when people bike:
Help your own county to get more people, of all ages and ability levels, biking as a transportation option. Motivate them by starting a HER Helmet Thursdays project where you live!
Learn more about HER Helmet Thursdays
Above this website’s banner, click on “H-E-R Helmet Thurs Stories” if you’d like to read about some of the individual businesses and organizations participating.