Make a Donation
Donating=Building Community Bike-Love.
This site is available to everyone. No paywall.
Donations in any amount say "I'm for biking!" and help keep this resource rolling. Creating and maintaining accurate, reliable content requires much time and energy. Thank you for acknowledging that with a donation.
To donate by debit or credit card via PayPal does not require a Pay Pal account.
"Outstanding site. Uplifting, informative, relevant, and fun to read and look at."--Matthew Sundt, Owner, Old Capitol Books and President, Velo Club Monterey
For more comments, scroll to bottom.
About This Site
Mari Lynch, a resident of Monterey County since 1981, launched Bicycling Monterey to encourage biking, as well as other Earth-friendly actions.
Resources on this site include the HER Helmet Thursdays Project, a long-term ecology-economy sustainability project that provides discounts on Thursdays to males and females who bike. Click here for quick links to HER Helmet Thursdays info. >
“I have gone to businesses on HER Helmet Thursdays, and they are always gracious. Thank you for making such a great program work!”–Sam Poteete “No profit motive for its creator, Mari Lynch, just a vision to see more locals and tourists ride bikes.”–Ravi Kapur, KSBW
Short and tweet H-E-R Helmet Thursdays news
Lemme tell you tweetly
Get an email notice of new posts.
Click for details, including how to request permission. >
TIPS FOR BICYCLING MONTEREY COUNTY – Click any of the 22 headings below to access.
- Tips for Tourists/Locals
- Overview of the Guide (with Index)
- 1. Why Bike: The Many Benefits of Bicycling
- 2. Once You Start: Bike Maps and Other Tools for Finding Your Way
- 3. CA Bicycle Laws and Personal Bike Safety–Tips for Kids and Adults
- 4. Where to Shower and Change
- 5. Bike-and-Ride Options: Bicycling Needn’t Be All or Nothing!
- 6. Bicycle Security, including Unique List of Places to Go
- 7. Bicycle Shops in Monterey County–and Tips on New and Used Bike Purchases
- 8. Repairs and Maintenance for Bikes–and Bikeways–Including DIY
- 9. Bike Rentals in Monterey County–plus Self-Led and Guided Tours
- 10. Where to Bike in Monterey County
- 11. Cycling to Monterey County’s History Spots
- 12. Shopping by Bike
- 13. Bike Valet and Other Bicycle Parking–including Etiquette and Laws
- 14. Hotels, Entertainment, Educational Venues, Restaurants
- 15. More Bicycle Safety: High Visibility
- 16. What to Do in Salinas, the Monterey County Seat
- 17. Farmers Markets
- 18. Serious Cyclists: BMX, Fixed Gear, MTB, Road, Touring (Clubs, Group Rides, Camping, More)
- 19. Biking in the Dark
- 20. Bicycling and Ecotourism/Good Earthkeeping Right at Home
Comments on Posts
- Cyclelicious » Bike activities for Monterey County on Monterey County Bike Community Calendar, April-May 2013
- BIKE MONTH | SBP on 5/11: 2nd Annual Intergenerational Ride from Fort Ord Dunes State Park (2013)
- Elvira Robinson on Do you enjoy the Open Space of Monterey’s Custom House Plaza, and the Alvarado Mall? These people do.
- It’s Your Bike Community, SBP! | SBP on 16. What to Do in Salinas, the Monterey County Seat
- Cyclelicious » Good Friday on 5/11: 2nd Annual Intergenerational Ride from Fort Ord Dunes State Park (2013)
- marilynch on Monterey Council Approves Multimodal Plan, Monterey on the Move
- Participate in making Salinas a better bicycle friendly city | SBP on Bike Salinas: Tell TAMC where street improvements are needed.
Comments about Bicycling Monterey – An Information Hub for Biking in Monterey County
"An umbrella website for all things two-wheeled in Monterey County."--Monterey County Weekly
"Excellent resource for all things bikes in Monterey County."--Richard Masoner, Cyclelicious
"A huge public service to the region."--Megan Tolbert
"Great bike tips for tourists as well as residents."--Monterey Institute of International Studies
"Filled a gap in our tour guide info."--Ellen Tucker
"Thanks to @BikeMonterey...for great tips that helped make this bike touring trip a big success."--Stephen Zavestoski
"Great source of bicycling news and events."--City of Monterey
"What a fantastic resource for all!"--Heynia Cooley
"Excellent content and accessibility!"--Nate Patel
"Great resource for tourists and residents alike!"--Association of Monterey Bay Area Governments
"Civic minded...very uplifting."--Michael Ricker
"Does so much for the community, in an informative and collaborative manner."--Debbie Hale
"You are amazing for starting the HER Helmet Thursdays program. Thank you!"--Karen Woodson
"Wonderful blog!"--Jorge Flores
"Really great website."--Saskia Lucas
"Monterey County bicycling enthusiast extraordinaire!" --Claudia Meléndez Salinas
"Our dear, incomparable Mari Lynch, advocating passionately for us bikers."--Susan Ragsdale-Cronin
"Consistently advocates for bicycling. Major kudos to Mari for all her great work!"--California Bicycle Coalition