Master CALENDAR for Bicycling Monterey County
Short link to get here: http://bit.ly/BikeCalendar
To submit a calendar listing, click here.
The calendar below features biking or bike-related activities, events, and meetings that take place in Monterey County and are open to the public. Children, teens, and adults—residents and visitors—look here for bike things to do. This calendar is provided as a public service. No claim is made or liability accepted for participation.
Scroll down for important notes for first-time users of this calendar.
- Green listings=entered by Mari Lynch unless otherwise noted in listing (“posted by…”). To volunteer to help maintain the calendar, contact Mari.
- Brown listings=auto-generated by MORCA. Some of MORCA’s may take place outside the county. To reduce duplications, HER Helmet Thursdays are only visible by viewing the MORCA calendar. For more about the merged calendars, see #5 and #11 in notes below.
- Amber listings=auto-generated by Velo Club Monterey. Some of VCM’s may take place outside the county. For more about the merged calendars, see #5 and #11 in notes below.
- To view calendars separately, click down arrow to right of “Agenda.”
Like this calendar? See About/Contribute for ways to support the Bicycling Monterey work.
No claim is made or liability accepted for participation.
- Parents or guardians are advised to accompany youth under 18 to activities and events, to ask questions, and to get acquainted with the organizers and other participants. An on-site volunteer role can be one good way to learn if an activity or event is right for your child or teen. An excellent source of general tips for parents/guardians is: Protecting the Gift: Keeping Children and Teenagers Safe (and Parents Sane) by Gavin DeBecker.
- For all rides, participants are encouraged to first review resources such as Bicycle Riding Skills, Bike Safety, and CA Bicycle Laws–for Children, Teens, and Adults. That section includes Monterey County bike-related ordinances too, such as about sidewalk riding. At minimum, review a bike law summary.
Grab one here: Be Cool, Be Safe – bike law summary
Or another, in Spanish and English: Leyes de ciclismo de CA – Laws for bicyclists in CA (Spanish, English) – Summary
- Note any age or other restrictions, and whether there is a cost (most activities and events on this calendar are free).
For the most accurate, up-to-date info, check with the contact person or link provided.
- If no contact person is provided for a MORCA-generated listing (brown), contact Monterey Off Road Cycling Association (MORCA) – MORCAmtb.org; for a VCM-generated listing (amber), contact Velo Club Monterey (VCM) – vcmonterey.org. If no contact person is clear for a Bicycling Monterey listing (green), contact Mari.
- Click “more details” on any listing. Hours first visible may be inaccurate, including because of Google calendar format restrictions.
- Google auto-generates a map in the “Where” field. That map is often completely irrelevant to the listing! Refer instead to any personalized details provided.
- This calendar not only includes bicycling, but also bike-related activities and events. Examples: Ciclovia Salinas (for walking, biking, skating, and other active transportation); and TAMC meetings of the Bicycle and Pedestrian Facilities Advisory Committee.
- Additional dates of interest−bike infrastruture and related issues: When Bicycling Monterey is aware that an upcoming local meeting agenda includes an item of particular interest to people who bike, that meeting will usually be listed on this master calendar. To stay best informed, refer to the infrastructure section on Bicycling Monterey’s main resources page, and contact the individuals responsible for notifying the public of public meetings. Ask to get on their email lists.
- A key to commonly used acronyms is provided below. To learn much more about the Monterey County bike community, see Monterey County Bicycling Resources / Bike Community Leaders.
- Because the Bicycling Monterey, MORCA, and VCM calendars are merged as a step in creating this Master Calendar, there may occasionally be a duplicate (e.g., for Sea Otter Classic in April). Any such duplicates will usually offer different details. If you notice conflicting information (e.g., start time), please contact me.
- Beginning June 25, 2015, on the first Thursday after a business or organization joins the HER Helmet Thursdays project, that new participant will be highlighted on the calendar. Please watch for these notices and support the participants with your patronage and/or with a note thanking them for helping to build a more bike-friendly county.
Some commonly used acronyms:
- AMBAG = Association of Monterey Bay Area Governments
- HER (an acronym used in the HER Helmet Thursdays project) = Hotels, Educational & Entertainment venues, Restaurants. (And related businesses and organizations participate too. ) HER also refers to Mother Earth, who benefits from more people biking!
- MORCA = Monterey Off Road Cycling Association
- MTB = Mountain biking
- NPSCC = Naval Postgraduate School Cycling Club
- SOC = Sea Otter Classic
- SRTS = Safe Routes to School
- TAMC = Transportation Agency for Monterey County
- VCM = Velo Club Monterey
How to submit a calendar listing
If you have a bike-related activity or event open to the public that takes place in Monterey County, click here. (Alternatively, if you have a Monterey County bike-related Google calendar, as MORCA and VCM do, please contact Mari.)
* * * * *
A grassroots effort established in 2009, the Bicycling Monterey site and projects are provided free of charge as a public service, in partnership with the community. To help maintain and expand these resources, contributions and volunteers are appreciated.
Thank you for your consideration and support.