Ciclovía Salinas – Contact info, resources, and history of Monterey County’s OPEN STREETS
Short link to this page: http://bit.ly/CicloviaSalinas
As of 2016, Ciclovía Salinas is still just an annual event. For the 2017 date(s), check back here or contact Ciclovía Salinas.
This page features:
1. Contact Info for Ciclovía Salinas
2. Resources, including—in English y en español—the local Open Streets etiquette
3. Summary: who, what, when, where
4. How it happens: volunteer opportunities
5. History: photo galleries and other history, including acknowledgements
Ciclovía Salinas is a free event and is for all ages and abilities.
“Monterey County roads don’t all lead to Peninsula cities and Big Sur,” as told in this audio broadcast in 2013. Listen to get a sense of why people are excited about the Ciclovía Salinas dates!
1. CONTACT INFO
Ciclovía Salinas online
Website: New website is http://cicloviasalinas.org. The Salinas presence on the national Open Streets Project website is http://openstreetsproject.org/salinas/ (Ciclovía Salinas will update both sites ASAP.)
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ciclovia.salinas.ca and 9 Oct 2016 event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/285404501831315/
Phone, office address, and postal mail
Phone: c/o Building Healthy Communities, 831-717-1384. Primary contact for 2016 was Alejandra Silva.
Office address and postal mail: Ciclovía Salinas, c/o Building Healthy Communities, 606 Williams Road, Salinas, CA 93905
Se habla español and English
Etiquette: Get familiar, and share with friends
(Click links to download these printable PDFs.)
- in English Ciclovia Salinas Etiquette /Guidelines (v6)
- en español Ciclovía Salinas – Reglas de comportamiento y la Ley (v2)
Biking over to Ciclovía Salinas?
Be a good ambassador for the bike community by biking polite and observing traffic laws. Here are the bike law summaries referred to in those Ciclovía Salinas etiquette documents:
- Ciclovia – Leyes de ciclismo de CA – Laws for bicyclists in CA (Spanish, English) – Summary
- Be Cool, Be Safe – bike law summary
- Curious about sidewalk riding? No need for that on the Ciclovía Salinas route, but for other places in Salinas? Click here.
Who, what, when, where…
Who started it? Ciclovía Salinas is a youth-led initiative launched by a youth committee of Building Healthy Communities-East Salinas. A diverse coalition of supporters, including City of Salinas officials, jumped in to support Salinas youth in creating this very special experience for residents and visitors.
What is it? People of all ages and abilities enjoy the fun and freedom of a stretch of public streets with no motor vehicle traffic. Ciclovía Salinas temporarily closes these streets so people can walk, bike, roll in wheelchairs, skateboard, rollerblade, run, and engage in other people-powered transportation and physically active play and socializing. Arts, music, and other fun activities along the route add to the mix of this lively event.
When? Get on the Ciclovía Salinas email list to be alerted of next dates. (The inaugural date was Sunday, October 6, 2013; second was Saturday, November 1, 2014; third, Sunday, October 25, 2015; and fourth will be Sunday, October 9, 2016. As you can see, they’ve been annual events so far. It’s hoped they will become more frequent; volunteer with or contribute to Ciclovía Salinas to help make that happen.)
Where? The route for the fourth Ciclovía Salinas date is along Alisal Street, between Sanborn Road in East Salinas / the Alisal and Main Street in Oldtown Salinas. (This is the same route as in 2015. The route in 2013 and 2014 was the same except that it extended just a bit farther, to Salinas Street.)
If you’re able, kindly take the bus or bike to reach the Ciclovía Salinas route. Another option is to park your motor vehicle in Oldtown/downtown, then roll in a wheelchair, walk, or otherwise continue down Alisal Street. Ciclovía Salinas would like to have side-street parking near East Alisal left available for businesses along the route.
Active/healthy transportation. Ciclovía Salinas gives everyone an opportunity to experience using active/healthy transportation in a safe environment free of motor vehicles. That resulted in Ciclovía Salinas being honored with a Transportation Excellence Award from the Transportation Agency for Monterey County.
Part of a worldwide movement:The first Ciclovía or Open Streets originated in Bogotá, Colombia. Ciclovía Salinas is recognized by the Open Streets Project, which shares info about Open Streets initiatives occurring across the U.S. and Canada. Ciclovía Salinas is:
- The 1st Open Streets location in Monterey County
- One of the 1st dozen such locations in California
- One of the 1st one hundred in all of North America
4. HOW IT HAPPENS
Volunteers are needed and appreciated.
There are a wide variety of volunteer tasks. Below are just a few examples. To offer your help, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (831) 717-1384.
- Spread the news about Ciclovía Salinas! Invite your family, friends, neighbors, and business associates to attend. Share online what Ciclovía Salinas posts on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram. Distribute posters, write letters to the editor, or contact Ciclovía Salinas for more ideas.
- Help businesses along the route to prepare for an optimal day. Patronize these businesses whenever you can, and let them know you appreciate having Ciclovía Salinas in their neighborhood.
- Be a barricade volunteer (must be age 18 or older). It’s a vital and rewarding job, with raffle prizes for volunteers. Call (831-717-1384) or email Ciclovia Salinas (email@example.com).
- Help with set-up and tear-down.
- Sign up to provide an activity along the route. Perhaps you’d like to teach a dance or fitness class, provide a sports clinic or contest, a musical or artistic performance, or a booth about community resources. Or maybe you have other ideas! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (831) 717-1384; ask for an activities application and the deadline for submitting it.
- Youth interns: Interested? If you live in Salinas and are a student age 14-18 or a recent high school grad, and you are committed to making positive changes in Salinas, you are probably right for an internship position! Contact Ciclovía Salinas for the specific requirements, application deadlines, period of service, and further details.
including details and acknowledgements about the inaugural Ciclovía Salinas in 2013; photo galleries and more about 2013 and 2014 dates; and posters from 2015 and 2016.
About the inaugural Ciclovía Salinas,
6 October 2013
Monterey County Convention and Visitors Bureau / See Monterey blog, BlogMonterey.com:
Galleries of photos taken at the inaugural Ciclovia Salinas:
- by Jay Dunn, published in the Salinas Californian, click here
- by Vern Fisher, published in the Monterey County Herald, click here
- by Christopher Lopez, SV Grown Photography, click here
- Ciclovía Salinas Acknowledgements: Sponsors, Volunteers, Publicists, and More Short link: http://bit.ly/SalinasThanks
- Thank you, City of Salinas Short link: http://bit.ly/SalinasRocks
- Resources for Ciclovía Salinas: Etiquette, Poster, Route, Transportation Tips, and More – Spread the News! Short link: http://bit.ly/Oct6Salinas
- Ciclovía Salinas, Monterey County’s Open Streets Short link: http://www.bit.ly/MoCoOpen Streets
- Ciclovía Salinas: 10 Ways to Be Part of the Fun Short link: http://bit.ly/10WaysSalinas
Related posts at BikeMonterey.org:
- Be a Barricade Volunteer for Ciclovía Salinas Short link: http://www.bit.ly/Sept12VolTrain [date refers to 2013 training date]
- Why Support Ciclovía Salinas? Gregg Brady shares his reasons Short link: http://www.bit.ly/WhySalinas
- Fun & Free: Ciclovía Salinas on Rejuvenating Healthy Communities Short link: http://bit.ly/FunFreeSalinas
About the second Ciclovía Salinas date,
1 November 2014
Monterey County Convention & Visitors Bureau / See Monterey blog, BlogMonterey.com:
Galleries of photos taken at the second Ciclovia Salinas:
- by Juan Villa, published in the Salinas Californian; click here.
- by Vernon McKnight , published in the Monterey County Herald; click here.
- by Iain Pirie Photography, featured on the Ciclovia Salinas FB page; click here.
- As was acknowledged, the much-needed rain dampened attendance in 2014, but it didn’t dampen the Ciclovía Salinas spirit!
“Nov 1: Ciclovía Salinas, Monterey County’s Open Streets, returns” includes poster, mini fliers, Info Booth locations (get your raffle prize passports there), a 48-second video intro by J. V. Guajardo, and some other details about Nov 1, 2014.
El Sol (en español):
The third Ciclovía Salinas date,
25 October 2015
The fourth Ciclovía Salinas date,
9 October 2016