Ciclovía Salinas – Contact Info and Resources
Ciclovía Salinas is a free event and is for all ages and abilities.
Short link to this page: http://bit.ly/CicloviaSalinas
This page features:
- Contact Info for Ciclovía Salinas—including for both people on the Internet and people not online, and for English and Spanish speakers
- Resources, including—in English y en español—the local Open Streets etiquette
- Summary: who, what, when, where
- Volunteer opportunities: how it happens
- Photo galleries and other history
The next Ciclovía Salinas date is
Sunday, October 25, 2015
10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Help others save the date! Spread the news with Ciclovia Salinas 25 Oct 2015 – 4-to-a-page mini fliers and Ciclovia Salinas 25 Oct 2015 – flier
Posters will be available later.
“Monterey County roads don’t all lead to Peninsula cities and Big Sur,” as told in this audio aired on KUSP in 2013. Listen to get a sense of why people are excited about the next Ciclovía Salinas date, October 25, 2015!
Se habla español and English
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: c/o Andrea Manzo at Building Healthy Communities, 831-717-1384. (To help with publicity, ask for Jeanette Pantoja or Andrea Manzo.)
- Postal mail: c/o Andrea Manzo, Building Healthy Communities, 606 Williams Road, Salinas, CA 93905
Ciclovía Salinas on the web
Etiquette: Get familiar, and share with friends
(Click links to download PDFs, then print and share.)
- in English Ciclovia Salinas Etiquette/ Laws (v6)
- en español Ciclovía Salinas – Reglas de comportamiento y la Ley (v2)
Biking over to Ciclovía Salinas?
Be a good ambassador for the bike community by biking polite and observing traffic laws. Here are the bike law summaries referred to in those Ciclovía Salinas etiquette documents:
- Leyes de ciclismo de CA – Laws for bicyclists in CA (Spanish, English) – Summary
- Be Cool Be Safe – bike law summary
- Curious about sidewalk riding? No need for that on the Ciclovía Salinas route, but for other places in Salinas? Click here.
Who, what, when, where…
- Who started it? Ciclovía Salinas was launched by a youth committee of Building Healthy Communities-East Salinas. A diverse coalition of supporters, including City of Salinas officials, jumped in to support these local youth in creating this very special experience for residents and visitors.
- What is it? People of all ages and abilities enjoy the fun and freedom of a stretch of public streets with no motor vehicle traffic. Ciclovía Salinas temporarily closes these streets so people can walk, bike, skate, run, roll in wheelchairs, and engage in other active/people-powered transportation and physically active play and socializing. Arts, music, and other fun activities along the route add to the mix of this lively event.
- When? Get on the Ciclovía Salinas email list to be alerted of next dates. The first was Sunday, October 6, 2013; second was Saturday, November 1, 2014; and the third is scheduled for Sunday, October 25, 2015. As you can see, they’ve been annual events so far. It’s hoped they will become more frequent; volunteer with or contribute to Ciclovía Salinas to help make that happen.
- Where? Keep in touch with Ciclovía Salinas for the next route. The route for the first and second Ciclovía Salinas dates was along 1.6 miles of Alisal Street, between Sanborn Road in East Salinas/the Alisal and Salinas Street in the downtown area/Oldtown Salinas vicinity.
- Huh? Active transportation? Yes, Ciclovía Salinas makes it easy to enjoy the experience of active or people-powered transportation. That resulted in Ciclovía Salinas being honored with a Transportation Excellence Award from the Transportation Agency for Monterey County.
Part of a worldwide movement:The first Ciclovía or Open Streets originated in Bogotá, Colombia. Ciclovía Salinas is recognized by the Open Streets Project, which shares info about Open Streets initiatives occurring across the U.S. and Canada. Ciclovía Salinas is:
- The 1st Open Streets location in Monterey County
- One of the 1st dozen such locations in California
- One of the 1st one hundred in all of North America
Below are links to photo galleries and details from the first Ciclovía Salinas dates.
Like what you see? Consider volunteering!
HOW IT HAPPENS:
Volunteers are needed and appreciated. There are a wide variety of volunteer tasks. Below are just a few examples. To offer your help, contact Natalie Oliver, youth and volunteer coordinator via email: email@example.com
- Spread the news about Ciclovía Salinas! Share online what Ciclovía Salinas posts on Twitter and Facebook, distribute posters, write letters to the editor, or contact Natalie for more ideas.
- Help businesses along the route to prepare for an optimal day.
- Be a barricade volunteer (must be age 18 or older).
- Invite your family, friends, neighbors, and business associates to attend.
- Help with set-up and tear-down.
- Sign up to provide live entertainment along the route.
About the second Ciclovía Salinas date, 1 Nov 2014
Monterey County Convention & Visitors Bureau/See Monterey blog, BlogMonterey.com:
Galleries of photos taken at the second Ciclovia Salinas…
- by Juan Villa, published in the Salinas Californian; click here.
- by Vernon McKnight , published in the Monterey County Herald; click here.
- by Iain Pirie Photography, featured on the Ciclovia Salinas FB page; click here.
- As was acknowledged, the much-needed rain dampened attendance in 2014, but it didn’t dampen the Ciclovía Salinas spirit!
“Nov 1: Ciclovía Salinas, Monterey County’s Open Streets, returns” for poster, mini fliers, Info Booth locations (get your raffle prize passports there), a 48-second video intro by J. V. Guajardo, and some other details about Nov 1.
El Sol (en español):
About the inaugural Ciclovía Salinas, 6 Oct 2013
Monterey County Convention and Visitors Bureau / See Monterey blog, BlogMonterey.com:
Galleries of photos taken at the inaugural Ciclovia Salinas…
- by Jay Dunn, published in the Salinas Californian, click here
- by Vern Fisher, published in the Monterey County Herald, click here
- by Christopher Lopez, SV Grown Photography, click here
- Ciclovía Salinas Acknowledgements: Sponsors, Volunteers, Publicists, and More Short link: http://bit.ly/SalinasThanks
- Thank you, City of Salinas Short link: http://bit.ly/SalinasRocks
- Resources for Ciclovía Salinas: Etiquette, Poster, Route, Transportation Tips, and More – Spread the News! Short link: http://bit.ly/Oct6Salinas
- Ciclovía Salinas, Monterey County’s Open Streets Short link: http://www.bit.ly/MoCoOpen Streets
- Ciclovía Salinas: 10 Ways to Be Part of the Fun Short link: http://bit.ly/10WaysSalinas
Related posts at BicyclingMonterey.com
- Be a Barricade Volunteer for Ciclovía Salinas Short link: http://www.bit.ly/Sept12VolTrain [date refers to 2013 training date]
- Why Support Ciclovía Salinas? Gregg Brady shares his reasons Short link: http://www.bit.ly/WhySalinas
- Fun & Free: Ciclovía Salinas on Rejuvenating Healthy Communities Short link: http://bit.ly/FunFreeSalinas