Posted by marilynch
Salinas Youth Lead the Way in Monterey County Bike Community Firsts
The 33 links below are just a sampling of Bicycling Monterey (County’s) stories about bicycling in the county seat. Why?
Because I love biking Salinas! I love the ag-town vibe of Monterey County’s largest city, nestled against the Gabilans in the beautiful Salinas Valley. I love the familiar feel of farmers and 4H-ers nearby. And I love how Salinas is not just the seat of Monterey County government…
Salinas is a hotbed of
Monterey County bike community firsts!
Below, Salinas youth Carlos Aispuro.
Photographer: another Salinas youth, Josiah Zurita.
Here are some ways that Salinas youth have been part of Monterey County bike community firsts:
- First organized public high school cycling team in Monterey County: The Salinas High School Cowboy Racing Mountain Bike Team, a co-ed team, competes in the NorCal High School Cycling League. And to my knowledge, the SHS team is also the first organized cycling team of any public elementary school, middle school, high school, or college in the county.
- First public elementary school cycling club in Monterey County. Monterey Park Cycling at Monterey Park School, a public school for grades K-6, leads the way for Salinas City Elementary Schools and for all public elementary schools in the county! Click here for the scoop, shared by principal Ron Dillender.
- First on-campus do-it-yourself bicycle maintenance station in Monterey County. Yes, Salinas High School had the first DIY bike maintenance station of any elementary school, middle school, high school, or college in the county. Check out the photos below. SHS is sure to inspire other Monterey County bike-friendly schools, public and private, to set up maintenance stations as well.
- First high school bike tech class in Monterey County. This class was established at the Monterey County Youth Center, located in Salinas, on 4/15/12; click here to learn more. Youth in the class come from all over Monterey County, but currently live in our county seat. Perhaps in time other high school students in Salinas and other Monterey County cities will find bike tech classes offered at their schools too! Click here for related inspiration at Bicycling Monterey, “Bike Safety and Bike Tech Education.”
- First Open Streets location in Monterey County–and one of the first dozen statewide!–is a youth-led initiative, Ciclovia Salinas. Click here to learn more. Thanks to Building Healthy Communities-East Salinas and others who respected the vision, energy, and developing leadership skills of Salinas youth in making this happen. Among the many supporters: City of Salinas officials, including a unanimous Salinas City Council. Go, Salinas!
- First bike party in Monterey County: Salinas Bike Party, a courteous social bike run. While all ages were invited, older teens and young adults turned out in high numbers and showed that Salinas is a great place to get on your bike and have fun. In 2012-2013, SBP hosted numerous bike parties. SBP welcomed all types of bicycles–anyone who brought a positive vibe and cruised in tune with SBP party rules. To find out about any upcoming activities, email Rob Garcia at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kudos to Salinas youth
for these Monterey County bike community firsts!
For more about biking Salinas–33 links that are
a sampling of Salinas stories on this site– scroll to
the end of this post.
Special thanks to Josiah Zurita (top photo) and SHS teacher Jim Warwick (other photos in this post).
Thanks also go to Coach Warwick and others from the Cowboys cycling team for their support of the county’s first on-campus DIY bike maintenance station.
A sampling of Salinas stories and resources from the Bicycling Monterey (County) website
- What to Do in Salinas, the Monterey County Seat (long web page of Salinas tips!)
- KUSP: Bikes are taking to the streets–and it’s not where you might expect
- Ciclovia Salinas
- Open Streets and Equity: Ciclovia Salinas at the National Open Streets Summit
- Ciclovia Salinas Summer Youth Internships
- The Alisal / East Salinas: Pleasures, Protests, and Promise
- Downtown Salinas Church Asks: What would happen if we changed the ways we moved around?
- Salinas Youth Leading the Way in Monterey County Bike Community Firsts
- Campfires and Flat Tires: Warwick Sisters on Keeping Up with Dad
- Miguél Angel Frias, 1st Salinas Youth Poet Laureate
- SPC Vilmar Gilarza Hernandez
- In memory of Santiago Ramirez
- Remembering Kyle Beardshear
- Shawn Carden, BMX Racer
- Spinning Spokes and Telling Jokes: Fixed Riding in the 831
- Salinas Bike Scene: Something for everyone
- Bike Salinas: Where are street improvements needed?
- Bike to School: In Monterey County and elsewhere
- Monterey Park Cycling: For South Salinas kids, “Your community is your classroom,” and you get to class by bike!
- Little Bellas at Toro Park, Salinas
- Salinas Youth and Others for Bikes: Bikes Make Life Better
- Salinas 10-Mile Family Bike Ride for a Better Community
- Biking between Salinas and the Monterey Peninsula
- Keeping the Local Bike Scene Cool: It’s a multi-pronged effort – and Happy Bike Month from Salinas PD
- Salinas PAL Bicycle Safety Rodeo
- Salinas Criterium
- Salinas High School Cowboy Racing Mountain Bike Team
- Awesome Bike Coaches of Monterey County
- California High School Mountain Biking State Championships
- Excelente! Bike advocacy wins 6 of 10 excellence awards
- California Rodeo Kiddie Capers Parade
- Salinas Bike Party: A Courteous Social Bike Run
- Salinas Burrito Bike Rides: When car culture meets bike culture, fun ensues! – Organized by Deadend Magazine
This post was previously published August 31, 2012, with subsequent updates.