Posted by marilynch
Open Streets in the Monterey Bay Region and Beyond
- Our Santa Cruz County neighbors had the first Open Streets event for the Monterey Bay tri-county region, held on West Cliff Drive in Santa Cruz on October 7, 2012. Visit Open Streets Santa Cruz County for upcoming dates.
- In Monterey County, the first Open Streets took place October 6, 2013. See Bicycling Monterey’s Ciclovía Salinas section for history and more, including contact info so you won’t miss the next dates.
- For San Benito County, check with San Benito bike community leaders–Council of Governments and others–about any upcoming Open Streets there.
Learn more about the Open Streets movement throughout North America by visiting the Open Streets Project website, which lists Ciclovía Salinas and other initiatives.
* * * * *
According to the sources cited below, it appears that Ciclovia Salinas is among the first dozen locations in California to have a Ciclovia/Open Streets event.
Sources regarding California’s growing
numbers of Ciclovia/Open Streets locations
California Bicycle Coalition
On 5/3/13, the California Bicycle Coalition reported Ciclovía Salinas would be the 9th location in California. See the @calbike tweet below sent to @bikemonterey.
The Open Streets Project
As of 9/22/13, (the first Ciclovia Salinas was 10/6/13) The Open Streets Project website indicated there were eleven such initiatives in California. Visit The Open Streets Project website for any additional locations in CA, and to grab the links from their list. As of 9/22/13, their CA list included:
- Car-Free Sundays in Golden Gate Park
- Long Beach Bike Festival
- San Francisco Sunday Streets
- Santa Barbara Open Streets ¡Calles Vivas!
- Santa Cruz Open Streets
- Shasta Living Streets
- Street Play Sunday
- Streets Alive San Mateo County