Tips for Tourists/Locals
You are at the portal to Tips for Bicycling Monterey County: A 20-Section Guide.
Here are just a few of the many other resources on the Bicycling Monterey website:
- Biking activities and events: http://bit.ly/BikeCalendar
- Monterey County discounts on Thursdays for males and females who bike–available from the hundreds of businesses and organizations participating in the HER Helmet Thursdays project: http://bit.ly/HHTQuickLinks
- Monterey County bike community leaders / more local bicycling resources: http://bit.ly/BikeMRYResources
About Bicycling Monterey and its projects: http://bit.ly/AboutBike
Tips for Bicycling Monterey County:
A 20-Section Guide
Tips for Bicycling Monterey County
This guide and the Bicycling Monterey website were created by Mari Lynch, a county resident since 1981. The work was honored with a Transportation Excellence Award from the Transportation Agency for Monterey County.
Since its launch in 2009, Bicycling Monterey content is made available to everyone, without pay wall. It is provided as a courtesy to Monterey County’s visitors (estimated to be 8.4 million people annually), our approximately 422,000 residents, and others, for personal use. For all other use, refer to the copyright information page.
Included in the guide are links to Bicycling Monterey’s original content–over 400 posts and pages published on this site–along with links to other carefully selected resources. There are no paid links on this site. All information is provided as a public service.
Please consider making a contribution to help maintain and expand these resources. A contribution in any amount is meaningful and appreciated.
Access the 20-Section Guide here.
Click on a title below to go to that section of Tips for Bicycling Monterey County.
Also on this site: A wealth of local biking information!
As the 20-section guide’s Overview and Index further indicate, links in the guide lead you to a large volume of Bicycling Monterey content, along with some links to other resources, such as:
- A list of bicycle shops, services, clubs, infrastructure contacts, and other resources
- A compilation of Spanish language bicycling resources, and some tips for other languages, including bike parts illustrations
- Tips for local college students, kids biking to school
Bicycle advocacy, and what you can do to help
- Tips on biking to the beach, to sustainable seafood spots, to camping sites, to wineries
- Tips specific to biking various local communities, e.g., Carmel, Castroville, Greenfield, Pebble Beach, Salinas, Seaside
- Tips on biking to special events like the Monterey Jazz Festival
What about that discounts-for-bicyclists project, HER Helmet Thursdays? Males and females get discounts at Hotels, Educational and Entertainment venues, Restaurants, and related places on Thursdays year-round. Why? To encourage people to help HER, Mother Earth, by biking.
Photo above: Irene and Jeff Dibble of Sonoma County. Irene and Jeff found that biking to the Aquarium was a great way to skip traffic and parking concerns, while having much more fun too!
* * * * *
This guide was first published on this site May 15, 2009.