8. REPAIRS AND MAINTENANCE for Bikes–and Bikeways–Including DIY
If you aren’t mechanically inclined, take it to a local bike shop for a safety inspection and tune-up!
Even on a Sunday, when you need bicycle repairs or maintenance in Monterey County, you’re in luck!
Seven days a week, nearly all have mechanics available. Call first if you need major service on a Sunday. And call ahead on a major holiday, to be sure they aren’t taking the day off.
Below are some local shops where you can count on professional repairs.
Have a “silly” question?
I’m not-so-mechanically minded. Perhaps, like me, you feel hesitant to ask questions at a bike shop. Don’t be! Most of our bike shops have employees who realize their work makes a very positive difference in the health of people and the planet. These folks take pride in their jobs and are glad to answer your questions and otherwise help you.
- Carmel: Carmel Bicycle in Carmel Rancho II, and Bay Bikes in the Barnyard. Two good neighbors. If you don’t find what you need at the one shop, check in with the other one, which is very nearby.
- Castroville – Near Class I bike path: In the little shopping center behind Union 76, Tony’s Bike Shop & Skateboards, 11402 Haro St, Castroville; 831/272-8409. As of 2/3/14, no website, but on Facebook; and regular hours are 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday through Saturday.
- Monterey - Just off freeway near NPS: Peninsula Bike Works.
- Monterey – Old Monterey: Aquarian at Bay Bikes.
- Monterey – Cannery Row: Bay Bikes.
- Pacific Grove: Repair service Tues-Sat (closed Sun-Mon) at Winning Wheels, 318 Grand Avenue, Pacific Grove; phone 831/375-4322 (no web site at present).
- Salinas – North Salinas: Bear Bikes(Note that Bear’s hours are Sun, 11-5, Mon-Sat, 10-6; a past AT&T yellow page ad had an error indicating they close at 8 pm.)
- Salinas – Oldtown: Bobcat Bicycles.
- Seaside: If you’re biking on the path near Roberts Lake (see “Where to Bike”), the closest repair shop with mechanics available is Sports Center Bicycles on Del Monte Blvd.
- Seaside: CSUMB Otter Cycle Center. Full-service repair shop at discounted rates for students, faculty, and staff only.
Mobile mechanic needed?
If you just can’t get your bicycle to the bike shop, what can you do? Bay Bikes of Carmel and Monterey are often able to provide mobile mechanic service on request. Just ask!
We’ve witnessed how that mobile mechanic service from our excellent local bike shops can work! How’s that? Both Bay Bikes and Sports Center Bicycles have served as the complimentary mobile mechanics at the annual Intergenerational Rides celebrating Monterey County Bike Month. We love how our local bike shops team up and pitch in to help with bike community events!
Robert Cepeda, service manager at Sports Center Bicycles of Seaside
provided complimentary mobile bike mechanic services
at the first Intergenerational Ride.
Below, at far right, Chris Paruolo of Bay Bikes served as mobile mechanic on the 2nd Annual Intergenerational Ride.
Also see the specialty services section of Bicycle Shops, Services, Clubs, and Resources in Monterey County, which includes experts such as Joseph Crabtree of Forest Hill Bike Shop in Pacific Grove, who provides custom bikes and service, including pro builds for road, mountain, and cyclocross.
Joseph Crabtree, giving full attention to the exacting requirements for this bike.
For a peek inside the service areas of some other local bike shops, see the Bike Month celebration post, “$10 at Bike Shops Goes a Long Way.”
Maintenance and Repair
Like to do it yourself–at least a little? Many DIY folks find the bicycle parts illustrations linked on Bicycling Monterey’s “Other languages” page helpful.
“Didn’t have my bike pump today, and there’s no bike shop nearby. Glad I can make use of the air at this gas station, so I can get my neighbor’s bike rolling for them.”
How to change a flat
Take a class?
Bike maintenance/repair classes are sometimes offered through the City of Monterey Parks and Rec, with teachers including excellent mechanics from Winning Wheels, a locally owned bike store in Pacific Grove for over 25 years. Click here to learn more.
Maintenance/repair classes have also been offered by REI Marina, such as Basic Bike Maintenance (lube a chain, fix a flat, make minor adjustments) by REI certified bike tech Jared Lopez. Call 831.883.8048 to inquire, or click here.
Micah, a veteran of the highly respected Joselyns, now closed.
But Micah is back! On 9/1/12, he and Sean Rigmaiden opened Peninsula Bike Works.
- You may also be curious about these tips for washing your bike.
Do-it-yourself bike maintenance stations
- Salinas High School (established 8/27/12, for any SHS students). Click here for announcement. Questions? Contact Jim Warwick, 831-262-4152.
- CSUMB (as of 8/29/12, pending installation). Two DIY stations will become part of CSUMB’s Wise Biker resources (http://transportation.csumb.edu/biking). Contact Megan Tolbert, Transportation Planner, with questions.
Elsewhere in the Monterey Bay region
- Santa Cruz County resources include the Bike Church, Santa Cruz and the Bike Shack, Watsonville. (Bike Shack, in fact, is one of the many reasons Watsonville has the potential to be the next Bike City USA, as reported by Roseann Hernandez 6/21/13 in the Register-Pajaronian.)
- Be inspired by our neighboring cities!
For my musings on bike repairs…
and a vision for roadside bicycle repair in the USA, as is happening elsewhere, see “Prepare Communities First, Then Link Them.”
Repair and Maintenance
If you come upon a bikeway/road condition problem—
such as bikeways not clearly marked, potholes, vegetation overgrowth, or other bikeway improvements needed—please report it to the Transportation Agency of Monterey County via this online form. If you prefer, you may phone, fax, or mail your request to TAMC.
See “Bicycle infrastructure” headings on the Monterey County Bicycle Shops, Services, Clubs and Resources page of this site. Those infrastructure contacts are also the go-to people with regard to bikeway closures due to construction and for the latest news on current bicycle infrastructure projects for Monterey County. You’ll also find some infrastructure news in this site’s Local Bike News section.