Posted by marilynch
Used Bikes for Sale: And better yet, from professionals at local bike shops!
In Monterey County, there’s a great way to buy a quality bike on a limited budget: Take advantage of the used bike sales offered by some of our local bike shops!
This is ideal for college students and others watching their budget. It’s an affordable way to entice children away from video screens and get them hooked on biking. It allows you to start them out on a quality bike, so they won’t be frustrated, yet without breaking the family budget. And once they’ve gotten hooked on biking, you might decide to spring for a new bike later on.
And no excuses, parents and grandparents, you can pick up a good used bike for yourself, too, and ride with the kids!
Here are some leads on Monterey County bike shops that may have the used bike you are looking for. Note that some of these shops are bilingual too; click here for Bicycling Monterey’s most current summary of Monterey County’s bilingual bike shop professionals.
Where to get used bikes at Monterey County locally owned bike shops:
- Know those cool Breezers (pictured below) rented at Adventures by the Sea? People in the market for a quality used bike may want to stay in touch with Adventures about those. There’s a good chance that come autumn, such well maintained bikes will be sold to get ready for the next year’s new fleet. That’s typical for bike rental businesses! The photo above was taken at Adventures location on Cannery Row on November 1, 2015.
- On a regular basis, Valley Bikes, 64 West Alisal Street, Salinas; 831/422-3453 sells used bikes, as well as new bikes. (As of Dec 2014, no website, but on Facebook.)
- Some local bike shops, like Sports Center Bicycles, often have a couple used bikes for sale in addition to their large inventory of new bicycles.
- Bay Bikes also has occasional big sales of many used bikes. Why? Simply the usual preparation to purchase new bikes to be rented in the next season. A few of these used bicycles are only a year old, while others may be approximately 1-4 years old; just ask.
- On January 1, 2016, a new business opened in Marina, Rooster Wheels & Coffee. Contact them and ask about their used bikes and other sales and services
Remember: Such used bikes are an especially sweet deal because you know you are buying a bike whose maintenance has been performed by professionals!
Bay Bikes, Carmel location
Adventures by the Sea, Alvarado Mall location