"Consistently advocates for bicycling. Major kudos to Mari for all her great work!"--California Bicycle Coalition
Make a Contribution
Show some bike love! Help Bicycling Monterey make Monterey County, and beyond, a more bike-friendly place. Contribute $5, $50, $500, or any amount.
You may contribute by mailing a check.
Or contribute via PayPal, using your bank account, debit card, or credit card. No PayPal account is necessary.
Why contribute? Read what people say about Bicycling Monterey.
For comments from tourists and residents of Monterey County, people who bike in other places, municipal leaders, journalists, transportation professionals, bike advocates, and others, click here. >
Respect Copyright – © Mari Lynch, 2009-2016 – All rights reserved.
About This Site
Resources on this site include the HER Helmet Thursdays Project, a long-term ecology-economy sustainability project that provides discounts on Thursdays to males and females who bike. See Quick Links to HER Helmet Thursdays. >
“I have gone to businesses on HER Helmet Thursdays, and they are always gracious. Thank you for making such a great program work!”–Sam Poteete “No profit motive for its creator, Mari Lynch, just a vision to see more locals and tourists ride bikes.”–Ravi Kapur, KSBW
TIPS FOR BICYCLING MONTEREY COUNTY – Click any of the 22 headings below to access.
- Tips for Tourists and Locals
- Overview of the Guide (with Index)
- 1. Why Bike: The Many Benefits of Bicycling
- 2. Once You Start: BIKE MAPS and Other Tools for Finding Your Way
- 3. Bicycle Riding Skills, Bike Safety, and CA Bicycle Laws–for Children, Teens, and Adults
- 4. Where to Shower and Change
- 5. Bike-and-Ride Options: Bicycling Needn’t Be All or Nothing!
- 6. Bicycle Security, including Unique List of Places to Go
- 7. LOCAL BICYCLE SHOPS in Monterey County–and Tips on New and Used Bikes
- 8. REPAIRS AND MAINTENANCE for Bikes–and Bikeways–Including DIY
- 9. BIKE RENTALS in Monterey County–plus Self-Led and Guided Tours
- 10. Where to Bike in Monterey County
- 11. Cycling to Monterey County’s History Spots
- 12. Shopping by Bike
- 13. Bike Valet and Other Bicycle Parking–including Etiquette and Laws
- 14. Hotels, Entertainment, Educational Venues, Restaurants
- 15. More Bicycle Safety: High Visibility
- 16. Bike Salinas, including its HER Helmet Thursdays spots
- 17. Bike to Monterey County Farmers Markets
- 18. Serious Cyclists: BMX, Fixed Gear, MTB, Road, Touring, and More (Clubs, Group Rides, Camping, and Other Resources)
- 19. Night Rides / Biking in the Dark
- 20. Bicycling and Ecotourism / Good Earthkeeping Right at Home
- Master Calendar for Bicycling Monterey County
- Ciclovía Salinas – Contact info, resources, and history of Monterey County’s only Open Streets
- Submit a Listing for the Master Calendar for Bicycling Monterey County
- WHAT PEOPLE SAY about the Bicycling Monterey website and projects
- Learn more about HER Helmet Thursdays participants