"Outstanding site. Uplifting, informative, relevant, and fun to read and look at."--Matthew Sundt, Owner, Old Capitol Books and President, Velo Club Monterey
For more comments, scroll to bottom.
About This Site
Mari Lynch, a resident of Monterey County since 1981, launched Bicycling Monterey to encourage biking, as well as other Earth-friendly actions.
Resources on this site include the HER Helmet Thursdays Project, a long-term ecology-economy sustainability project that provides discounts on Thursdays to males and females who bike. Click for quick links to HER Helmet Thursdays info.>
This site and projects were created as a public service of Fine Wordworking and Mari Lynch, honored with a Transportation Excellence Award from the Transportation Agency for Monterey County. Click for more details. >
Make a Donation
If you found information here valuable, please consider making a donation to help maintain and expand these resources.
You may donate by debit or credit card via PayPal, and you do not need a Pay Pal account. Just click the "Donate" button below.
“I have gone to businesses on HER Helmet Thursdays, and they are always gracious. Thank you for making such a great program work!”–Sam Poteete “No profit motive for its creator, Mari Lynch, just a vision to see more locals and tourists ride bikes.”–Ravi Kapur, KSBW
Get an email notice of new posts.
Click for details, including how to request permission. >
TIPS FOR BICYCLING MONTEREY COUNTY – Click any of the 21 headings below to access.
- Tips for Tourists/Locals
- Overview of the Guide (with Index)
- 1. Why Bike: The Many Benefits of Bicycling
- 2. Once You Start: Bike Maps and Other Tools for Finding Your Way
- 3. CA Bicycle Laws and Personal Bike Safety–Tips for Kids and Adults
- 4. Where to Shower and Change
- 5. Bike-and-Ride Options: Bicycling Needn’t Be All or Nothing!
- 6. Bicycle Security, including Unique List of Places to Go
- 7. Bicycle Shops in Monterey County–and Tips on New and Used Bike Purchases
- 8. Repairs and Maintenance for Bikes–and Bikeways–Including DIY
- 9. Bike Rentals in Monterey County–plus Self-Led and Guided Tours
- 10. Where to Bike in Monterey County
- 11. Cycling to Monterey County’s History Spots
- 12. Shopping by Bike
- 13. Bike Valet Parking and Other Bicycle Parking
- 14. Hotels, Entertainment, Educational Venues, Restaurants
- 15. More Bicycle Safety: High Visibility
- 16. What to Do in Salinas, the Monterey County Seat
- 17. Farmers Markets
- 18. Serious Cyclists: BMX, Fixed Gear, MTB, Road, Touring (Clubs, Group Rides, Camping, More)
- 19. Biking in the Dark
- 20. Bicycling and Ecotourism/Good Earthkeeping Right at Home
Comments on Posts
- Rob Swain on Bicycling Carmel: Traveling with Fido, and Other Tips
- Cyclelicious » Bicycle blog link love on Bike Sharing – Monterey County Feasibility
- Cath Tendler-Valencia on Happy Anniversary, HER Helmet Thursdays!
- Pat McNeill on Ray LaHood Jazzed About MST’s Rapid-Transit Monterey Jazz Lines
- Phil Yenovkian on Ray LaHood Jazzed About MST’s Rapid-Transit Monterey Jazz Lines
- Devian Gilbert on Ray LaHood Jazzed About MST’s Rapid-Transit Monterey Jazz Lines
- The Biking Viking on German Ingenuity: More Than One Way to Travel by Bike
Comments about Bicycling Monterey – An Information Hub for Biking in Monterey County
"An umbrella website for all things two-wheeled in Monterey County."--Monterey County Weekly
"A huge public service to the region."--Megan Tolbert
"Great bike tips for tourists as well as residents."--Monterey Institute of International Studies
"Filled a gap in our tour guide info."--Ellen Tucker
"Thanks to @BikeMonterey...for great tips that helped make this bike touring trip a big success."--Stephen Zavestoski
"Great source of bicycling news and events."--City of Monterey
"What a fantastic resource for all!"--Heynia Cooley
"Excellent content and accessibility!"--Nate Patel
"Great resource for tourists and residents alike!"--Association of Monterey Bay Area Governments
"Civic minded...very uplifting."--Michael Ricker
"Does so much for the community, in an informative and collaborative manner."--Debbie Hale
"You are amazing for starting the HER Helmet Thursdays program. Thank you!"--Karen Woodson
"Wonderful blog!"--Jorge Flores
"Really great website."--Saskia Lucas
"Monterey County bicycling enthusiast extraordinaire!" --Claudia Meléndez Salinas
"Our dear, incomparable Mari Lynch, advocating passionately for us bikers."--Susan Ragsdale-Cronin
"Consistently advocates for bicycling. Major kudos to Mari for all her great work!"--California Bicycle Coalition