"Outstanding site. Uplifting, informative, relevant, and fun to read and look at."--Matthew Sundt, Owner, Old Capitol Books and President, Velo Club Monterey
For more comments, scroll down.
Make a Contribution
Contributions in any amount say "I'm for biking!" and help keep this resource available.
Contributing by debit or credit card via PayPal does not require a Pay Pal account.
Respect Copyright – © Mari Lynch, 2009-2013 – All rights reserved.
“I have gone to businesses on HER Helmet Thursdays, and they are always gracious. Thank you for making such a great program work!”–Sam Poteete “No profit motive for its creator, Mari Lynch, just a vision to see more locals and tourists ride bikes.”–Ravi Kapur, KSBW
About This Site
Mari Lynch, a resident of Monterey County since 1981, launched Bicycling Monterey to encourage biking, as well as other Earth-friendly actions.
Resources on this site include the HER Helmet Thursdays Project, a long-term ecology-economy sustainability project that provides discounts on Thursdays to males and females who bike. Click here for quick links to HER Helmet Thursdays info. >
Get an email notice of new posts.
TIPS FOR BICYCLING MONTEREY COUNTY – Click any of the 22 headings below to access.
- Tips for Tourists/Locals
- Overview of the Guide (with Index)
- 1. Why Bike: The Many Benefits of Bicycling
- 2. Once You Start: Bike Maps and Other Tools for Finding Your Way
- 3. CA Bicycle Laws and Personal Bike Safety–Tips for Children, Teens, and Adults
- 4. Where to Shower and Change
- 5. Bike-and-Ride Options: Bicycling Needn’t Be All or Nothing!
- 6. Bicycle Security, including Unique List of Places to Go
- 7. Bicycle Shops in Monterey County–and Tips on New and Used Bike Purchases
- 8. Repairs and Maintenance for Bikes–and Bikeways–Including DIY
- 9. Bike Rentals in Monterey County–plus Self-Led and Guided Tours
- 10. Where to Bike in Monterey County
- 11. Cycling to Monterey County’s History Spots
- 12. Shopping by Bike
- 13. Bike Valet and Other Bicycle Parking–including Etiquette and Laws
- 14. Hotels, Entertainment, Educational Venues, Restaurants
- 15. More Bicycle Safety: High Visibility
- 16. Bike Salinas: What to Do in the Monterey County Seat
- 17. Bike to Monterey County Farmers Markets
- 18. Serious Cyclists: BMX, Fixed Gear, MTB, Road, Touring, and More (Clubs, Group Rides, Camping, and Other Resources)
- 19. Biking in the Dark
- 20. Bicycling and Ecotourism/Good Earthkeeping Right at Home
- Master Calendar for Bicycling Monterey County
- Monterey County Youth Center Bike Class – Calendar for Instructors
Comments on Posts
- M. Boatman on Monterey Composite High School Mountain Bike Team–for High Schoolers Countywide
- mudanzas baratas on Sea Otter Classic – inscripción se abre – ciclocross, carreras de bicicleta de carretera, carreras de mountain bike, gran fondo, sin bicicleta, y festival, 10-13 abril 2014
- marilynch on Santa Cruz Open Streets – Monterey Bay regional leader
Comments about Bicycling Monterey – An Information Hub for Biking in Monterey County
"An umbrella website for all things two-wheeled in Monterey County."--Kera Abraham, Monterey County Weekly
"Excellent resource for all things bikes in Monterey County."--Richard Masoner, Cyclelicious
"A huge public service to the region."--Megan Tolbert, CSUMB Transportation Planner
"Great resource for tourists and residents alike!"--Association of Monterey Bay Area Governments
"Does so much for the community, in an informative and collaborative manner."--Debbie Hale, Executive Director, TAMC
"Great bike tips for tourists as well as residents."--Monterey Institute of International Studies
"Thanks to @BikeMonterey...for great tips that helped make this bike touring trip a big success."--Stephen Zavestoski
"Filled a gap in our tour guide info."--Ellen Tucker
"Great source of bicycling news and events."--City of Monterey
"What a fantastic resource for all!"--Heynia Cooley
"Excellent content and accessibility!"--Nate Patel
"Civic minded...very uplifting."--Michael Ricker, City of Salinas
"You are amazing for starting the HER Helmet Thursdays program. Thank you!"--Karen Woodson
"I'm an avid cyclist relocating to Monterey soon. Great site! Thanks for all the news and resources."--Mark Daniels
"A wealth of relevant information for cyclists residing in or visiting Monterey County."--Peter Mounteer, Cedar Street Times
"Really great website."--Saskia Lucas, Open Streets Santa Cruz
"Wonderful blog!"--Jorge Flores
"Monterey County bicycling enthusiast extraordinaire!"--Claudia Meléndez Salinas, Monterey County Herald
"As a regular visitor to Pacific Grove since 1963 I can attest that there is no finer way to see the peninsula than by bike. You have captured the essence of how and why cycling is so enjoyable for both transportation and recreation. Thanks for providing your site."--Rob Swain
"Our dear, incomparable Mari Lynch, advocating passionately for us bikers."--Susan Ragsdale-Cronin, Bike Commuter Mom
"Consistently advocates for bicycling. Major kudos to Mari for all her great work!"--California Bicycle Coalition